Oil flow. Oil doesn't flow through heads?

Last night, we were discussing a different topic and I got shade thrown pretty well over me suggesting "Oil flows through a head." In typical BITOG previous fashion, this was dwelled on. I was able to diffuse the situation, but now, I would like to review how oil flows through various heads.

Many different engines out there. When I see a block, I see Oil Return Passages. So this must mean that the oil comes back down.. Has to, otherwise it would stay up there forever. So, it doesn't travel up the whole head or side of through maybe some kind of pressurized channel, it just gets splashed up there from the upward movement of the piston?

Then I suggested the Oil Return Holes that are directly in.. I said the piston, maybe PimTac took offense to that. Perhaps I should have stated the Connecting Rod underneath the piston. The piston is that moves up and down and has the oil control rings in it, I think there are three ? But I distinctly remember it being said that there is a long shaft that goes up/down through the apparatus under it, that helps oil flow.. So, perhaps that is the connecting rod, and not necessarily the piston (although it all moves up and down as one unit. Thank you, PimTac.)

Can't get enough lubricating, so. Are the holes I speak of in the part under the piston? And are there ANY engines that get pressurized and not splashed oil in the head?

Perhaps from 13:19 on in this video. Would make sense... Oil would drain back down through the center of the big long connecting rod under the piston and provide oil lubrication to that bearing at the bottom.

Here is another, looking for the specific EricTheCarGuy video where he shows a specific piston (rod?) that has the hole in it.

I would imagine all or most engines have these holes.

Last time I looked the filler hole under the 5w-30 cap was a good clue …
That's for re-filling the engine with oil. I'm talking about how oil flows in an engine.

Or this one.

Are there these holes in the rod? Or is that only certain engines?

There is pressurized oil flow through a cylinder head. How do you think camshafts are lubricated?

Many engines also have piston cooling jets that squirt pressurized oil at the back of pistons for cooling and lubrication
Yes … more and more use jets and oil coolers

Simple video

Last edited:
The above replies are great.

That's actually why I made this thread.. Of course I know the whole engine has to be lubricated somehow, and I have heard of splash lubrication as was mentioned in other threads.

I frequently think about how the oil gets to where it has to go, and, as mentioned, pressurized and yes also newer engines, not just the relics I drive (Subaru and a Taurus) so I am always thinking about how the oil gets through an engine.

Possible nit-picking, but, we must remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

That's actually why I made this thread.. Of course I know the whole engine has to be lubricated somehow, and I have heard of splash lubrication as was mentioned in other threads.

I frequently think about how the oil gets to where it has to go, and, as mentioned, pressurized and yes also newer engines, not just the relics I drive (Subaru and a Taurus) so I am always thinking about how the oil gets through an engine.

Possible nit-picking, but, we must remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.
That video is showing sling under pistons

What in the world... can I get a translation...

There was pontification, shade and offense taken... pistons oil heads ... return holes in connecting rods?

Someone get to the white courtesy phone please... stat...

Heads are oiled in various way, typically through the valve train... rocker shafts, pushrods or cam towers in OHC... Yes the oil return holes in the head gravity return oil to the sump.

It would be easier if we pick a particular engine to look at.

My question appears to be about oil return holes. No specific engine in question.

Here is a video, it may be it ? At 4:04 he shows the pistons and at 4:37 starts mentioning the holes.

My question appears to be about oil return holes. No specific engine in question.

Here is a video, it may be it ? At 4:04 he shows the pistons and at 4:37 starts mentioning the holes.

That is unrelated to the topic title of oil flow to heads.

Oil flows in the head yes it is sent up through the oil pump and sending unit through the valve train to the upper portion of the engine and head. Then it slowly goes back down after you shut off the vehicle I don’t believe it is under pressure when it goes back down their is no way it could be with the engine off. It goes back through the holes. It constantly flows through too so it’s constantly circulating around when the engine is on. So yes absolutely it flows through the head otherwise your engine would be damaged.

Back