Oil Filter Recycling

my local garbage/recycler picks all our recycled items up including used oil filters, and then from there it gets dumped into the local county landfill.. don't think this is how it should work...

my local garbage/recycler picks all our recycled items up including used oil filters, and then from there it gets dumped into the local county landfill.. don't think this is how it should work...
Until we run out of clean water or the whole place becomes a landfill or recycling becomes mandatory or profitable the human race gets what it deserves sad but true ......

Think of the plastic saved if everyone bought bag in box .......oh that will never happen since everyone is worried about getting the absolute cheapest deal they can get with whatever rebate they have in the end saving pennies I fear won't make any sense. Rant completed 😁

Any Walmart TLE nationwide will accept used oil and used filters for recycling.
None has ever charged me but I'm not sure that is corporate policy.

I always cut mine filters oprn. Remove anti Dean back vlave,gasket,and screwdriver to media,and into plastic shopping bag,along with oil change clean up towel,old drain bolt gasket, flush filter same..then into large public garbage container,as I'm in a parking lot. The coil/ clip bottom of filter,can, top with holes,rest metal,cleaned with rag..I take too local recycling center,aka dump,and put into scrap metal bin.

The DIY auto parts places always have a "waste oil drum full" sign on the window. :unsure:

The local waste transfer station (dump/yard/recycling) takes waste oil/coolant/filters for free. But you have to take it there; it's kind of a self-service thing - pour the liquids into the proper drum (or leave your waste container), leave the filters in a drain can. I often wonder how many times someone contaminates the waste stream by putting the wrong thing in the wrong drum.

I’m lucky that if I don’t feel like going to metals recycler I can take waste oil etc and burned out filter guts to work. Oil goes into waste oil tank; filter guts go into waste filter dumpster

Any Walmart TLE nationwide will accept used oil and used filters for recycling.
None has ever charged me but I'm not sure that is corporate policy.
Do they take filters too? did not know that, will have to look into. These days I cut open, recycle the metal and toss the rest into trash (used oil goes to Walmart).

Wonder if they will take them after cutting open…

Do they take filters too? did not know that, will have to look into. These days I cut open, recycle the metal and toss the rest into trash (used oil goes to Walmart).

Wonder if they will take them after cutting open…
Yes they take filters too.
Never tried to give them one that was cut open but they'd likely accept it if it isn't mangled. And they might even accept mangled..... who knows?!?
Best to go in and ask but I'll leave that homework to you.

Last edited:
It's funny how some counties across the USA have bins for everything (Antifreeze, oil, used filters, used AC filters, paper, rubber, etc.) Yet some, like mine, look at you like you have 3 eyes on your forehead.

We have 3 AutoZones within a reasonable distance from us. 1 takes used oil filters, the rest, back to the 3 eyes on the forehead.

Back