oil consumption question

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 06 nissan titan has currently about 12800 miles with no oil consumption during previous Mobil1 TSUV 5w-30 uses. I've had 5 oil changes so far and observed no oil consumptions during those changes. Just recently changed to GC green 0w-30 about 1200 miles ago. Checked dipstick today and noticed that it's just a slight below original level. In my opinion it has consumed about 1/5 or 1/6 of a quart. No oil leaks. I've been only using shell and chevron gas. So is it normal to have this consumption after switching to a new synthetic product? Before checking the dipstick, a few days before, i turned on the A/C while driving about 80 mph for about 30 minutes on the freeway and reved up to about 4k rpm about once. I dont know whether to contribute the consumption to the driving or to the switching of brands, viscocity, etc. Any ideas or comments would be appreciated. Also, i've heard a little oil consumption is indeed "good" for the engine, as it is part of a lubrication process in the engine.

[ June 14, 2006, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Highroller ]

I'm surprised that you noticed consumption after changing from M1 to Castrol, but it is not unheard of. In addition, i'm wondering if the amount of time you wait to check the oil after turning off the car needs to increase as the GC, when hot, is considerably thicker than M1 and may need more time to drain down to the oil pan.

You may let it sit over night and see if the oil level comes back up. If not, just watch it and see what happens. IMHO, some cars "like" certain oils better than others. That's not to say that specific oil is "bad" just not the right fit for you car.

Cheers,

Dan

I usually wait 15-19 minutes after the engine is turned off to check the dipstick to allow all the oil to drip back down the pan. Maybe because of the thickness of the GC, I should wait longer?

I don't think one can tell that 1/5 to 1/6 of a quart of oil has been consumed. That's too small an amount given the variables that can affect the readings. I wouldn't worry about it anyway given the small amount, especially in a new vehicle.

Make sure you are on completely level ground too. I've checked the oil thinking the ground was level, only to find out it isn't.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jmacmaster:
I don't think one can tell that 1/5 to 1/6 of a quart of oil has been consumed. That's too small an amount given the variables that can affect the readings. I wouldn't worry about it anyway given the small amount, especially in a new vehicle.

On my 96 Corvette I could see a 3 oz difference (1/10 qt) when I parked it in the same spot in my garage and let it sit overnight.

The dip stuck had 10 hash marks between Add and Full, it dropped less than 1 hashmark in 6,000 miles and 3 oz of oil would bring it back to full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back