Oil Comparison Tests

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I thought it was a pretty good comparison test of 4 OEM oils: Ford, VW, MB, and BMW.

He has other vids where he compares Ravenol, Amsoil, Repsol, etc.

A bit of a thicker Eastern Euro accent, but easily understandable. I found them to be valuable, hoping others will as well.

I don't claim to be an expert, and neither does he.

Among his many videos and tests, he does confirm with reasonably objective data that LM isn't all it's cracked up to be.

That seems to align with some of the more experienced folks on these forums, so there may be some merit to his methods.

I don't claim to be an expert, and neither does he.

Among his many videos and tests, he does confirm with reasonably objective data that LM isn't all it's cracked up to be.

That seems to align with some of the more experienced folks on these forums, so there may be some merit to his methods.
No, sorry. There isn’t any merit to his methods whatsoever.

Ah yes another video and another dude but same worthless crap “test” as usual.

How did I know this before I even watched the video? Just so you know that’s not how you test motor oils for “quality” and it’s not how you compare them either.
Ah yes. How did I know even before clicking on this thread that you'll be here first with your usual self-indulgent negative comments which usually lead to threads being locked. Bravo!

Ah yes. How did I know even before clicking on this thread that you'll be here first with your usual self-indulgent negative comments which usually lead to threads being locked. Bravo!

He's right though. These sort of "tests" are worthless click bait.

What does a real engine oil test look like? Well, I'm glad you asked!

Here's the sequence for Porsche A40:
This test will last 203 hours.
The engine, and the oil, will go through:
- 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving,
- 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving,
- 40 cold starts,
- 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the “Nürburgring” racetrack,
- 3.5 hours of “running-in” program

Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter will be taken into account to grant the approval or not:
- torque curve (internal friction),
- oxidation of the oil,
- Piston cleanliness and ring sticking,
- Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 μm.
- Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible.
- Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method.

And a video:

Overkill - That is the coolest video I have seen in a long while, thanks!

You are quite welcome. I believe that's just a small segment of what the Nurburgring section of the test looks like, it's VERY intense. That's why I always harp on the OEM testing protocols being one of the best barometers, if it passes A40 you know it is no slouch.

At least I know what I’m taking about, jurko.
I have no doubt that you know what you talking about. But calling something crap can mean many things.
I've watched maybe couple of videos like this and I find them entertaining but pointless.
Would I ever use this as my guide to choose motor oil? Never.
My point is, that there's better way to reply such as pointing out lack of correct lab equipment used which none of the Youtubers have to make a claim about quality of motor oil.

No worries, gents. I have thick skin AND use a high-quality synthetic oil to ensure parts that do come into contact with snark are unaffected ;)

I merely thought it was somewhat entertaining to watch a few "tests" of various oils many of us happen to use. At the very least, the cold pour properties and evaporative loss tests were cool to see.

As pointed out, nobody should rely on these (or other) videos to determine what oil is appropriate. Following the specs is your best bet.

These are fun to watch but not as informative and legitimate as lab testing carried out by the multi million and billion dollar companies. But it's just that, for entertainment purposes this is fun to watch. Thanks for the link. Also thanks @OVERKILL for that A40 test video. I wonder if there's any 229.5 test procedures available.

These are fun to watch but not as informative and legitimate as lab testing carried out by the multi million and billion dollar companies. But it's just that, for entertainment purposes this is fun to watch. Thanks for the link. Also thanks @OVERKILL for that A40 test video. I wonder if there's any 229.5 test procedures available.
I highly doubt you will get the oil sump test for MB229.5. MB229.5/51/52 are actually more comprehensive than A40 or C40, but do not have Nurburgring simulation.

I highly doubt you will get the oil sump test for MB229.5. MB229.5/51/52 are actually more comprehensive than A40 or C40, but do not have Nurburgring simulation.

Yes, LL-01 is very extensive as well, but again, no 'ring simulation, which has got to be pure hell.

It will be fun to secretly replace one the oils in these YouTube tests with Canola cooking oil and see how it does.

it could pass the test and may also win as according to Wikipedia , Canola oil smoke point is 428-446F!

Back