Oil color is orange-ish/red-ish

Status
Not open for further replies.
2015 Altima 2.5 in my signature. Just turned 40K miles. Regular 5K mile OCI's or less with mostly syn or blend as it's under warranty. Oil always looks fine and darkens as normal as the miles rise.

On the last two oil changes, I have noticed that my oil color isn't BROWN or BLACK but, darkens to a orangish/reddish in color. NOT ATF in color!

The previous OCI had about 5 mo/4K mi. and changed prior to my vacation.

On this particular OCI,(changed on April 1st '18) now 1 month & 3200 miles on it(still in the engine) as we drove to Florida for 3 wks.

I checked the oil this morning and it's now starting to turn the same dark orangish color as my previous OCI and I have never had this in an oil as it has accumulated miles.

The engine runs fine and there is no milky substance in the oil. Is there something going on with the internals of my engine? I've seen this on some older Toyotas.

Last edited:
The Delvac in my 911's sump came out of the bottle with a reddish tint.

Sounds like maybe the oil you're using is taking some varnish off.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Specifics of the oil used will help our oil experts give opinions.

On the 1st OCI that I noticed this color change was 5W20 Havoline ProDS Synthetic.
On the 2nd OCI(current), I have 5W30 Mag 1 Full Synthetic.

Both are dexos if anyone is curious and both oils were a clear, mild yellow going in. You know, the color you can't see on the dipstick until it darkens?

Now both have turned to a dark Honey or Agave in a bottle but, more orange, than brown like Maple Syrup.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The Delvac in my 911's sump came out of the bottle with a reddish tint.

Sounds like maybe the oil you're using is taking some varnish off.

+1 I have seen the same thing with a few synthetics. OP this is what it looks like inside the engine. Notice the underside of the piston on the lower right is coming clean but the one partially blocked by the pickup tube upper middle is taking longer because it doesn't get as much splash. You can also see a tint to the oil.

YES Trav, that's exactly what it looks like, Thank you!

My next OCI will be with QSGB 5W30.

Last edited:
I have seen an XL7 do that to VWB and Chevron supreme. Both came out the same odd rusty red. Same oils used in other cars never did that. I never did figure it out.

If memory serves, certan types of Ashless Dispersant can, under the right circumstances, complex with overheard Calcium Phenate to yield a ruby red engine oil. It's rare but I saw it happen once a couple of decades ago.

This shouldn't come as a surprise. There are several types of lube additive that contain active Nitrogen species and these have a reputation for being optically active (as in 'azo' dyes).

I have more brands of oil in my stash and buy'em on closeout!
Sometimes I use the same brand/wgt for several OCI's in a row but, most of the time I have to use up what I have.
I have switched brands for almost 50 yrs. No Biggie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back