Oil choice help

Hello all new member here. I have a ford 1120 diesel. I believe they where made in the late 80,s to early 90’s.. I normally put around 40 hours a year on. I have owned it since 1996. I have always used wolfs head extreme duty semi synthetic 15w - 40.. the local Napa has quit selling it so I’m gonna switch.. the manual says to use API SF/CD.. I guess from reading here I want a full synthetic so what would you guys recommend?? Thanks

This can be confusing. I would use what ever 15W40 Diesel motor oil you can buy Wolf's Head was/is fine but there are plenty of others.

Yeah, you won't find SF/CD any longer as the spec's have changed many times since the engine was new and of course the new oils today are all back spec'd, meaning, they all supersede the spec before it and on & on.

SG supersede SF
SH supersede SG
SJ Supersede SG...and on & on
We're currently at SP/CK-4

But doesn't mean that you can't use previously spec'd CH-4, CI-4, CJ-4(if they're even available any longer). Don't go hunting them down as the new oils are all back spec'd.

I'm only scratching the surface of info for you and I may be slightly off in what I've said but others will be here to help.

Hello all new member here. I have a ford 1120 diesel. I believe they where made in the late 80,s to early 90’s.. I normally put around 40 hours a year on. I have owned it since 1996. I have always used wolfs head extreme duty semi synthetic 15w - 40.. the local Napa has quit selling it so I’m gonna switch.. the manual says to use API SF/CD.. I guess from reading here I want a full synthetic so what would you guys recommend?? Thanks
Check your local NAPA OR WALMART.

There are lots of good HDEO's on the market, most of which will be well beyond the rating you need of CD for your tractor. Most HDEO's are at CK now. Local farm stores like farm & Fleet or TSC usually have a good variety at a reasonable price as well as Walmart. I'd pick a 15W40 conventional and motor on with that especially if you are going to change it yearly. In the end you need to put in the crankcase what will help you sleep at night but I don't see a need for synthetic in your application.

just my $0.02

I actually got Rotella T5, is this ok?
Yes.
Welcome to the site.
Any diesel-rated lube will work just fine in your Ford tractor. Those little Shibaura units are not finicky about oil, nor is any Japanese diesel of any brand for that matter.

Last edited:
T5 is an excellent oil, I usually go with the Chevron Delo XLE because it's usually a bit cheaper than the Rotella but both are equally just as good. 15w40 is good but if you use it during the winter you might want to look for 5w40 or even 0w40, if it has a block heater and you can plug it in then 15w40 is fine year round.

In our tractors I've found that even a syn-blend is way better than a conventional oil especially in the cold weather they crank over so much easier.

Back