Oil changed,,, wrong oil installed?

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06
Originally Posted by widetrax
Went to Mobile and got it changed there,,, last week.. in a 2019 VW Beetle convertible. The manual says to use 508 oil,, asked them about this,, they ''did not know''. However,, I did let them change it,, they said,, ''we use the same oil as a Jetta'' and a few more--- it doesn't look green at all-- neither did what came in when new. In the meantime, I have bought 6 quarts of VW 508/509 oil, plus an extractor, so I CAN swap it out-- if needed. I really don't know whether to or not,, what do y'all think? I really wonder about NOT using the 508 oil, what might happen to the motor? Will the motor blow up? Got any thoughts on this?

Just trying to make this easy on you. Go back and have them place the right oil in or get a refund. The VW engines immersions systems are very sensitive. Your engine in particular is. Buddy of mine went to quick oil change center and put non VW spec oil in a tripped the check engine light. Thee VW spec oil complies with your emissions system including reducing valve deposits.

Separately, VW NA just issued a recall on various VWs including the ATLAS due to premature wear on Catalytic converter failing. The 504.00 oil on mine is at 9.5k on 87pump on my OCI and still golden brown and The taillpipes have no soot. It's remarkable how clean these run on the right oil. The 508.00 0w-20 are the only ones that are green. It's a dye placed in the oil to indicate green.

If VW NA is issuing a recall, these failures might be from something other than the oil used. If VW suspected out of spec oil was used, and it was the cause of cats failing, my belief is they would just void the warranty.

Using VW508.00. Still looks sooty and as dirty as any previous VWspec'd oil used for a decade regardless of it's vaunted PAO base.

Originally Posted by wemay
Using VW508.00. Still looks sooty and as dirty as any previous VWspec'd oil used for a decade regardless of it's vaunted PAO base.

He has an R and has used 504 oil...0W30 I believe.

Originally Posted by TiGeo

He has an R and has used 504 oil...0W30 I believe.

I believe he says 0W-20 in the video. But even if 504, the newest spec for the Atlas and Arteon, these results aren't fantastic for a vehicle with only 10k miles on the odo.

Edit: he does say 0W-20 but that oil doesn't look particularly green. 🤔

I can yell you 100% that he misspoke. See the video below. He used 504 0W30. I'll leave a comment on the video. Good discussion Charles has in this regarding the oil SNAFU with these cars.

https://youtu.be/RakLAZIRgwU

Last edited:
I can yell you 100% that he misspoke. See the video below. He used 504 0W30. I'll leave a comment on the video. Good discussion Charles has in this regarding the oil SNAFU with these cars.

I thinks so too now that i looked at it again and the tell-tail dye isn't present. And now more so after seeing the video you shared. Thanks.
Charles is definitely an asset to the VAG community.

Last edited:

I thinks so too now that i looked at it again and the tell-tail dye isn't present. And now more so after seeing the video you shared. Thanks.
Charles is definitely an asset to the VAG community.

Yes he is. Any 502 or 504 will work in the R.

Back