Oil changed,,, wrong oil installed?

Originally Posted by wemay

OK, this is enough information for me. VW508.00 from now on. I don't need any headaches and seeing the engine light in your dash is just that.

Not so fast! If the flaccid** VW 508 is not good enough for my 1.4 it will surely wreak havoc on your 2.0

A Good ILSAC 5W30 should be fine. A good compormise.

A tad more HTHS than the 0W20 508 but a LOT less HTHS than the A3,B4 5W30 or 5W40

If these VW engines blow up with an ILSAC 5W30 true synthetic - then they ARE Junk!

Think bout it.

Me, I don't have to worry. Ive already had my last oil change I am doing on my lease!

And I did have to add a 1/2 litre of M1 0W40 FS to get that motor running correctly.
Luckily, the thing burned a 1 /2 litre in a month!

I still can believe how MORONIC the VW dealers are. They really don't care bit.

Of Course, My dealer is at the NH seacoast - ALL the dealers along or near RT 1 / Lafayette Road are PIRATES

Good luck Wemay with the Passat.. Nice car?

Originally Posted by widetrax
Went to Mobile and got it changed there,,, last week.. in a 2019 VW Beetle convertible. The manual says to use 508 oil,, asked them about this,, they ''did not know''. However,, I did let them change it,, they said,, ''we use the same oil as a Jetta'' and a few more--- it doesn't look green at all-- neither did what came in when new. In the meantime, I have bought 6 quarts of VW 508/509 oil, plus an extractor, so I CAN swap it out-- if needed. I really don't know whether to or not,, what do y'all think? I really wonder about NOT using the 508 oil, what might happen to the motor? Will the motor blow up? Got any thoughts on this?

Call up VWoA and open a case file. In case of a warranty situation, you have documentation at VWoA.

VWoA might call up the buffoons at the Mobile, AL and scold them, to ensure owners are getting the proper oil for the oil changes.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

OK, this is enough information for me. VW508.00 from now on. I don't need any headaches and seeing the engine light in your dash is just that.

Not so fast! If the flaccid** VW 508 is not good enough for my 1.4 it will surely wreak havoc on your 2.0

A Good ILSAC 5W30 should be fine. A good compormise.

A tad more HTHS than the 0W20 508 but a LOT less HTHS than the A3,B4 5W30 or 5W40

If these VW engines blow up with an ILSAC 5W30 true synthetic - then they ARE Junk!

Think bout it.

Me, I don't have to worry. Ive already had my last oil change I am doing on my lease!

And I did have to add a 1/2 litre of M1 0W40 FS to get that motor running correctly.
Luckily, the thing burned a 1 /2 litre in a month!

I still can believe how MORONIC the VW dealers are. They really don't care bit.

Of Course, My dealer is at the NH seacoast - ALL the dealers along or near RT 1 / Lafayette Road are PIRATES

Good luck Wemay with the Passat.. Nice car?

The 508.00 uoa's I've seen thus far have looked excellent at 8-10k miles. So I hope your apprehension is just cautious thinking. Good luck to you as well Arco. I still like that Jetta, and the 1.4T.

My initial worry was that 508 is additives reliant to counter wear whereas a modern 5W40 uses both, additive and hths. But, who am I? In light of those good uoa referenced, my worry is old school legacy concern, I'm sure.

Originally Posted by TiGeo
People just freak when they see "0".

I think its more the number 20 that worries some.

Just checked my VW ticket,, they used 6.2 quarts of ''G-E60-020-1Q-DSP''. I have not any clue what this oil is, or any thing about it...

Just checked my VW ticket,, they used 6.2 quarts of ''G-E60-020-1Q-DSP''. I have not any clue what this oil is, or any thing about it...

It is 0/20 508 approved oil, VW branded.

G-E60-020-1Q-DSP

[Linked Image from s3.amazonaws.com]

Last edited:
All right then! I did drive it today, around a bit, and then to town. It's getting about 41 mpg, so that;s good also. Guess I''ll run this oil about 5,000 before changing it.

Last edited:

Yes - also that..hahahahaha. I hear guys on the VW boards lose their minds about 0W30 VW504 00 oils and how lightweight it is and how it will grenade their engines. So funny.

Yes - also that..hahahahaha. I hear guys on the VW boards lose their minds about 0W30 VW504 00 oils and how lightweight it is and how it will grenade their engines. So funny.

Yeah, I'm seeing it on the Audi boards as well. Especially the S4 forums. Understandable when going from a 40 to a 20 one year to the next in what appear to be identical engines.

Yeah, I'm seeing it on the Audi boards as well. Especially the S4 forums. Understandable when going from a 40 to a 20 one year to the next in what appear to be identical engines.

We VAG folks love our 5W40 VW502 00 oils...hahahaha

You are good then! This is the correct oil. It's the new Mobil 1 0w-20 ESP X2 508.00 fill

I had thought that I had bought the Mobile 1 oil,, instead it looks like it is ''Edge''. Mine is the VW oil sold by ECS,, it will work out though. I guess I'll put it in there next time around, 5,000 miles from now.

Drove by the dealership to pick up a few filters and drain plugs today. In passing, a Service Writer and a few Certified Techs were in the parts department. I asked about the dye in 508. To a man i was told the green oil is so the Techs know what they're pouring into the vehicles and not done to check if the correct spec was being used if an issue arises. True? who knows.

Drove by the dealership to pick up a few filters and drain plugs today. In passing, a Service Writer and a few Certified Techs were in the parts department. I asked about the dye in 508. To a man i was told the green oil is so the Techs know what they're pouring into the vehicles and not done to check if the correct spec was being used if an issue arises. True? who knows.

False, every 0w-20 508.00 cert isThis green dye. This isn't just a VW thing. Remember this same oil is certified And used by other manufacturers. It's green to symbolize green for Eco/enviro...

That's the first time I heard that reason. The VW boards keep stating its to catch those using different oils so if an engine issue arises, warranty can be denied.

Back