Oil changed,,, wrong oil installed?

Originally Posted by MCompact
It's not rocket science- use what the manufacturer recommends, period. Odds are the oil with the correct approval(s) is available at AA, AZ, and WM. If the shop doesn't know what the correct spec is, find one that does.
Simple.

I dont think 508 is as available as you think. Chances are slim to none you will find 508 anywhere except the dealer or possibly Napa. Check for yourself. Back to my studying now. Rocket science doesn't teach itself.

Well, considering the Beetle has not changed much for YEARS, I'm thinking this is a no sweat deal.

Pretty sure it's won't care if it has the 2.0....

Will be fine...though I would go someplace else if they don't know squat about the car......

From what i gather from the OPs posts, anything other than 508 oils cause anxiety and panic.. (which is what the dealers and manufacturers want)

"Will the motor blow up?" is enough for me to advise that he remove the unknown oil and install his "I have bought 6 quarts of VW 508/509 oil"

My opinion:

508 oils are a side hustle for VW. The 0w20 keeps EPA happy with fuel mileage.

VW has went from a Flat 4 air cooled engine for the common person that thrives on SAE 30 , to an engine that requires oil made in a lab by scientists from unobtainiums.

Originally Posted by widetrax
Went to Mobile and got it changed there,,, last week.. in a 2019 VW Beetle convertible. The manual says to use 508 oil,, asked them about this,, they ''did not know''. However,, I did let them change it,, they said,, ''we use the same oil as a Jetta'' and a few more--- it doesn't look green at all-- neither did what came in when new. In the meantime, I have bought 6 quarts of VW 508/509 oil, plus an extractor, so I CAN swap it out-- if needed. I really don't know whether to or not,, what do y'all think? I really wonder about NOT using the 508 oil, what might happen to the motor? Will the motor blow up? Got any thoughts on this?

Call or email VW and explain the situation. I can't imagine a VW dealership not providing you with a detailed receipt that's just odd. Technically you ARE covered for warranty reasons because the VW dealership is on the hook and you have the receipt to prove it.

Originally Posted by sloinker
Originally Posted by MCompact
It's not rocket science- use what the manufacturer recommends, period. Odds are the oil with the correct approval(s) is available at AA, AZ, and WM. If the shop doesn't know what the correct spec is, find one that does.
Simple.

I dont think 508 is as available as you think. Chances are slim to none you will find 508 anywhere except the dealer or possibly Napa. Check for yourself. Back to my studying now. Rocket science doesn't teach itself.

It's readily available online.

If a dealer did it I wouldn't be overly concerned about the warranty. Just run it the normal change and next go use the 508 0W20. It's not going to cause an issue. I would be concerned that a dealer didn't known what oil the car took. Dealers have easy access to this oil. The amount of drama about the VW oils is staggering.

Went to Mobile and got it changed there,,, last week.. in a 2019 VW Beetle convertible. The manual says to use 508 oil,, asked them about this,, they ''did not know''. However,, I did let them change it,, they said,, ''we use the same oil as a Jetta'' and a few more--- it doesn't look green at all-- neither did what came in when new. In the meantime, I have bought 6 quarts of VW 508/509 oil, plus an extractor, so I CAN swap it out-- if needed. I really don't know whether to or not,, what do y'all think? I really wonder about NOT using the 508 oil, what might happen to the motor? Will the motor blow up? Got any thoughts on this?

No It wont "blow up". VW 508 is a low HTHS synthetic oil with DP for 10K/1 year OCI.

Nothing Magic. Similar to M1AP 0W20 or Castrol Edge Gold bottle .0W20

Don't Feel to bad , my SELLING VW dealer put the "wrong" oil in. Careless Morons trying to make some $$$ by using up their

Bulk Castrol 5W40. Im sure they though they were doing me a favour by using the high HTHS oil in the little turbo.

5W40. It was too thick though. Lost fuel mileage and bogged the engine down and loaded up the converter.

But In the 1.4T I think the 0W20 is too light. A Long Life 5W30 ILSAC should do well in there. for say 6-7K oci.

I would run what they put in .

Here the thing. If it retains its good gas mileage and has good power and torque with low noise then you are good..

The engine will protest with poor oil. You should be able to hear it, If so go back and wail on 'em.

Originally Posted by toneydoc
I would run the Mobil 1 oil they put in there
An Audi dealer should know about the 508 spec oil

I reread the thread.

I don't see where Mobil 1 oil was used.

I think he went over to a VAG Dealer in Alabama!
_____

But , I think there is some mary jane involved here somewhere ....

Last edited:
Yes,, I did go to the original dealer to get it changed,, ''Volkswagen of Mobile'. I thought they knew what to put in there,, it now has 3300 miles on it. Of course they said, '' no need to change this, wait until 7,000 more miles'', but I wanted it changed out early. I guess I need to run it awhile and look at it,,'

Originally Posted by sloinker

Note that I said, "Odds are," I wrongly assumed 508 was more readily available. It looks like another factor that discourages me from looking at a GTI or Golf R- along with the salient fact that most of my local VW dealers have a policy prohibiting the hiring of techs with opposable thumbs.

Yes,, I did go to the original dealer to get it changed,, ''Volkswagen of Mobile'. I thought they knew what to put in there,, it now has 3300 miles on it. Of course they said, '' no need to change this, wait until 7,000 more miles'', but I wanted it changed out early. I guess I need to run it awhile and look at it,,'

Assuming that the dealer knows the correct service requirements can be costly. When VW introduced the DSG in the US @75% of VW service departments didn't know that a 40K mile service was required- and most refused to perform the service.

There is no mystery here...

I have never seen a dealer service receipt (and i've seen many) that did not itemize the charges and include part numbers. what are they?

If the dealer did not give you an itemized receipt... call them and ask for one. Post the part numbers, or call the parts department and ask.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

No It wont "blow up". VW 508 is a low HTHS synthetic oil with DP for 10K/1 year OCI.

Don't Feel to bad , my SELLING VW dealer put the "wrong" oil in. Careless Morons trying to make some $$$ by using up their

Bulk Castrol 5W40. Im sure they though they were doing me a favour by using the high HTHS oil in the little turbo.

5W40. It was too thick though. Lost fuel mileage and bogged the engine down and loaded up the converter.

But In the 1.4T I think the 0W20 is too light. A Long Life 5W30 ILSAC should do well in there. for say 6-7K oci.

Here the thing. If it retains its good gas mileage and has good power and torque with low noise then you are good..

The engine will protest with poor oil. You should be able to hear it, If so go back and wail on 'em.

I keep going back and forth on this for the long run decision. I jump from the older recommendation of 505.00/502.00 oils to 508.00 in my 2.0T and....back. UOA's have shown that 508 is more than up to the task for a 10K mile run. But in my experience, although marginally more lethargic off the line, the 505.00 oil is "quieter". Also, there is so much written about this being a "new" engine requiring 0W-20 to perform at it's optimal level, but i've seen no evidence of changes that would require this.

The OP's post proves how important it is to proof read for clarity before posting - and particularly when starting a thread.

Last edited:

Just trying to make this easy on you. Go back and have them place the right oil in or get a refund. The VW engines immersions systems are very sensitive. Your engine in particular is. Buddy of mine went to quick oil change center and put non VW spec oil in a tripped the check engine light. Thee VW spec oil complies with your emissions system including reducing valve deposits.

Separately, VW NA just issued a recall on various VWs including the ATLAS due to premature wear on Catalytic converter failing. The 504.00 oil on mine is at 9.5k on 87pump on my OCI and still golden brown and The taillpipes have no soot. It's remarkable how clean these run on the right oil. The 508.00 0w-20 are the only ones that are green. It's a dye placed in the oil to indicate green.

Originally Posted by wemay
It's a very stringent spec but so are the other VW approvals. I wouldn't worry about it.

On the VR6 with the new catalytic converters, there is a recall on models with the stop-start system. This is requiring a ECU reprogramming b/c contaminants from the combustion process are causing damage to the CATs during vehicle starts. You may want to check to see if your engine is affected as well.

The phosphorus and and sulphuric combustion process is causing damage to the new CAT design especially with cars that have start-stop. Look it up. Dealers don't know and buy non approved bulk oil from whoever they can get it from. This is the main reason VW just transitioned to Mobil so they can supply the right spec oil. This is why VW is now also selling the VW oils branded for customer use at all the NA dealerships.give it 30k miles on wrong oil and it will trip a check engine light. VW Are reprogramming ECU and replacing faulty CATs due to this.

Originally Posted by TheIceStormof06

The phosphorus and and sulphuric combustion process is causing damage to the new CAT design especially with cars that have start-stop. Look it up. Dealers don't know and buy non approved bulk oil from whoever they can get it from. This is the main reason VW just transitioned to Mobil so they can supply the right spec oil. This is why VW is now also selling the VW oils branded for customer use at all the NA dealerships.give it 30k miles on wrong oil and it will trip a check engine light. VW Are reprogramming ECU and replacing faulty CATs due to this.

OK, this is enough information for me. VW508.00 from now on. I don't need any headaches and seeing the engine light in your dash is just that.

Last edited:
Back