Oil change needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two ZTR mowers I use at my home, one with a B&S Intek twin and one with a Kawasaki twin. Both received 10W-30 synthetic and new filter in January of 2019. The weather was dry and grass growth was minimal and then work obligations caused me to hire a lawn care company to finish the rest of the 2019 season.
Long story short, I only put @3 hours on each mower; so my question is, do I need to change the oil before I use them this season? I usually put less than 25 hours on each mower.
Thanks for any and all advice!

Thanks all; I was leaning in that direction but it's good to get some confirmation.

Nope! I have a few seldom used engines. Oil can last for many years in such engines.

UOA testing shows plenty of TBN (ability to combat acids) left in years-old oil with few hours. Go by the hours.

For that low amount of hours you shouldn't need to. Modern oils hold up quite well, and I'm guessing both of those engines have oil filters and probably decent capacity (2 quarts or so most likely). More importantly, if sitting that long I would check the air filters and under the engine shrouds to make sure mice haven't made nests under there, which could overheat the engine when it's put back into use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back