Oil change/filter question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am running Havoline 5W/20 in my 2005 Dodge GC. I do 5K OCI's. I will be switching to Havoline 5W/30 on my next oil change to see if it solves a consumption problem.
My filter is a Wix 51085. Am I o.k. to use my filter for two oil changes (10K miles) or should I change it every time?
If it is good for two changes, should I remove and drain the filter or just leave what oil is in it there?
Your input is appreciated.

I would swap it with the viscosity change just for peace of mind and scientific control... to see if the 5w30 helps and isn't diluted to a 5w29 or whatever.
smile.gif

There are a lot of folks would and DO use a WIX longer than that, WIX being pretty stout. As they trap various particles over time, they get more and more efficient after all. The trick however, is to guess correctly when they've reached the upper limits of their capacity. Wouldn't wanna drive too far on a constantly bypassed filter.

Assuming no coolant contamination (which REALLY seems to slime a filter!), the structure of the media on a lot of cut open filters look the same as a filter on a Ford Ranger my office ran about 15K on a JiffyLube filter. I took the Dremel to it, and it "looked" fine. Media was whole, pleats were still pretty tight. No chunks, no clogs, and before they took it over, it was hot head to toe, so it was flowing. The cardboard ends were really soggy, but intact top and bottom, to be fair. They are clearly Frams, at their roots.

[ July 16, 2006, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: toocrazy2yoo ]

You know, filters work better the older they get. Sludge is about the only thing that will clog a filter, but the media will deteriorate over time. 10,000 miles "should be" safe. If you want to save yourself some labor you could try the Amsoil EaO filters and go 15,000 miles. Terry Dyson has recently posted that the Amsoil filters work better than anything else he has seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back