Oil Change Due in January.. FOR MY EYE !!! (true)

Status
Not open for further replies.
True story that ^^^

My left eye is full of medical silicone oil. Nov 1st underwent a pars plana vitrectomy operation, two hours under general anastesia knocked out. They went in, sucked out the vitreous gel in the main chamber of the left eye, used laser to repair five horse shoe shaped tears in the retina (the "camera film" that lines the inside of your eyeball...), then filled the chamber with medical grade silicone oil.

I do not know the TBN, cSt, NOACK volatility, or etc on it. although I assume it is Full Syn...
eek.gif

So, per the subj line I go back sometime the first half of January and they will take out the oil and put in a permanent fluid like stuff that hads a refractive index (i.e. handling of light) very close or the same as the natural vitreous did.

Therefore per the subj line, I am going to wager that I am the only BITOG member getting ready to have the oil changed in their eye.
eek.gif

FWIW they did the Nov 1st op and will do the Jan op using micro surgery where they use probes that the shafts are about the same size as the tip of a ball point pen. No scalpels slicing the eye or etc. The incisions are so small that sutures are usually not needed.
smile.gif

All sounds like a late life thing when the eyes start to have problems but I'm 53. Had cataract surgery in August and lens implant, which along with my history of myopia (bad near sightedness that was corrected by LASIK in 2003) put me at a higher than avg risk for retinal detachment... which happened near end of Oct. Office laser procedure to repair the detached retina failed to contain it so I had to have the full lay down surgery on Nov 1st.

One of my friends is an eye surgeon I have observed the procedure. Watching Doctors cut is amazing.

Amazingly, there was minimal discomfort the day after the vitrectomy and my vision in that eye is not terrible. Clarity or transparency or whatever we want to call it is same as right eye-- the silicone oil is apparently clear like water, but I'm about 20/50 uncorrected in it now whereas I was 20/20 uncorrected before after the acrylic lens implant in August. I'm getting a contact lens hopefully today for left eye to bring it even with right eye on visual acuity They refracted me and were able to get the oil eye to 20/30 with a contact lens of I think +3 strength.

Right now I get eye strain headache by early afternoon due to the eyes being so unbalanced in acuity-- left eye needs plus strength and right needs a slight minus strength (right eye is about 20/30 uncorrected these days; 2003's LASIK has faded...) so the divergence between the two gives me a headache after a while. Xtra strength is Tylenol is my friend for the next month or so.

Pretty cool how the brain works though-- it takes the better vision of the two (right eye) as the dominant so I see fairly good, it's just a weird effect with the blur of the left being "out there" but depth perception is still good.

Sounds like you went too long on the factory fill, and now have to do a flush.

Amazing what can be done today. People talk about wanting to live in an earlier time, a simpler time; but then I think about what can be done to restore damage or age, and am convinced that I'd all but rather live in the future.

Man LoneRanger! That is just amazing.

Best of luck with your upcoming procedures.

2 years ago I had cataract surgery on both eyes. I now have 20/20 in my left eye, and 20/15 in my right. Just amazing. Even now, I have not fully adjusted to the whole thing. I have had glasses since about age 10.
My left eye was near sighted and my right eye was far sighted. Also had severe astigmatism in both eyes. I lived 77 years of my life with a kind of single vision and had very little binocular vision. All I need now is +2.00 readers for close in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back