Oil change disaster

did that as a kid , my fist oil change. spun off the old filter and put on the new one ...didn't even think about the old gasket sticking to the housing...yep 5 quarts on the ground ...lesson learned for sure

You won't feel truly stupid until you pour the oil in, return to the workbench and see the drain plug laying there. "Excrement occurs" is about all you can say.

Yup, BTDT with a trans plug on my Acura. Least it was only a quart of fluid I dumped in. These days I usually pour from a 5qt bottle into a fairly large funnel, so it would be worse now.

If this is your 1st mishap on an oil change service, you are probably on borrowed time.
My 1st MBZ oil change resulted in oil all down the slanted driveway. The pan held way more oil than my drain pan.
Oops.

I dislike buying a car with a fresh oil change, it's like they are hiding something.

I won't change it in a car I'm about to sell for that exact reason. I'd rather tell them when I last changed it and let them decide what they're gonna do from there. I know how I feel seeing new oil in a car I want to buy. Plus, I always assume the vehicle has the wrong oil or oil I don't like in it anyway, so I change it after I buy it. Doesn't matter if it's from a dealer or individual.

Many years ago my youngest sister was learning to drive, and one of my brothers taught her by having her do it, including putting on the spare tire in case there was a flat, and changing the oil and filter. The parts store gave my brother the wrong oil-filter. And after she changed the oil and filter, when the car was started all the oil went all over the alley. She had put the filter on tight enough or what would have been tight enough if it was the correct filter. And I am sure my brother asked the auto parts store for the correct filter. The auto parts store was the one who messed up in that case.

I'm sorry, but why would anyone take the drain plug from underneath the car, to the workbench?
I service a friend's beautiful 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee witht he turbo diesel V6.
The dealer worked on a recall issue and accidently dumped the 8 quarts of oil.
I did the next service and found the drain plug was tight all the way out. I thought I needed a new plug due to messed up threads...
It was fulla grime or whatever; I don't even know how it got that dirty.
So I cleaned the threads and spun it back in with my fingers.
Sometimes it takes more than drain and refill.
Just my experience...

Want to talk about oil change mishaps? My Mom had one when she first started dating my Dad. I want to say she was driving a TR7 at the time. She (being the confident, strong willed woman that she is) decided she would change her own oil in the driveway by herself, with minimal instruction. Apparently she did great, right up until the end. My Dad got a call from her saying, "I've poured in 10 bottles, and I still cant see it at the top?!?"

My dad calmly explained that is not how it works, and helped her lower the oil level before starting the engine. All in all, no harm done, and a funny story earned.

Want to talk about oil change mishaps? My Mom had one when she first started dating my Dad. I want to say she was driving a TR7 at the time. She (being the confident, strong willed woman that she is) decided she would change her own oil in the driveway by herself, with minimal instruction. Apparently she did great, right up until the end. My Dad got a call from her saying, "I've poured in 10 bottles, and I still cant see it at the top?!?"

My dad calmly explained that is not how it works, and helped her lower the oil level before starting the engine. All in all, no harm done, and a funny story earned.
Those cool Triumphs has pretty big oil pans... I would love to have a TR4...

Then there always the fun of stepping right into the pan of dirty oil you just drained. Or pulling the torque tube on an older vehicle for your face to find out that the rear trans seal is leaking.

My stepbrother toasted a perfectly fine 1993 Civic EX by not removing the old filter gasket, yeah it had already made it to 275k miles but prob could have done 275k more. I never heard how the whole thing went down but knowing how he treats any machinery I imagine when Aladdin's red lamp stayed on he probably revved it to the moon to see if that would work.

You would think two gaskets would seal twice as good as one. Never been the case with me. And it seems like synthetic spreads quicker over the garage floor than dino..

Good story. I've got a similar one, my cousins old 1996 Accord was overheating, so he added a couple quarts of oil to the crank case 0.0

You are not a Car Dealer's Service Department-therefore on BITOG you get a free pass. If you worked at a dealer-this thread would go on ad nauseum, page after page saying how much better off you are doing it yourself. Obviously, in this case a flawed argument.

Great story.
I never use the phrase "Is the engine full of oil?" Instead I say, "What's the oil level?" Always. With friends, neighbors, whomever. You never know.

I've done this one. It's always fun to try to get the now REALLY full drain pan out and drained back into the jugs as you have 2x as much waste oil as you planned on in the pan.

You won't feel truly stupid until you pour the oil in, return to the workbench and see the drain plug laying there. "Excrement occurs" is about all you can say.

Back