Oil change day

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I changed oil in all 3 vehicles yesterday. TSX got PP 5W30, no worries there.

But for Accord and Civic I went with :Euro AV and planning to change it again around 2500-3000 miles.

Is that good or should I reduce the mileage interval, being a Euro AV?

I hope no damage and nothing is going to explode?

thumbsup2.gif

The only thing that's likely to explode is your wallet if you keep using oils like that for an OCI that's more appropriate to the cars of the 50s-70s! Try at least one UOA at the 3k point to see how good oil can still be at this point.

Based on some feedback from the past, being a SN this oil is not meant to be used in a gasser for extended OCI, hence the plan to change around those mileage?
confused2.gif

I'm pretty sure Pennzoil Platinum Euro AV is a mid saps oil because it is VW 502 and ACEA C3.
The Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX flavor is the true low saps version which is VW 504/507 approved. The LX version has
the most expensive add pack which wont show on a VOA or UOA and Pennzoil makes different Euro flavors for economic reasons.

Originally Posted by maverickfhs
Based on some feedback from the past, being a SN this oil is not meant to be used in a gasser for extended OCI, hence the plan to change around those mileage?
confused2.gif

Double what you are changing it at is not considered "extended OCI's" so long as you aren't short tripping like crazy.

PP can do 5-6K in your applications.

Last edited:
This thing about low saps oil and gasoline engine is repeated Bologna that is now becoming dated. It's the equivalent if someone stated today the best car tire is the General RT43.
But then again, as soon as a hurricane threatens gulf refineries, there is probably a clause allowing to lift many pollution rules and all bets are off?

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by StevieC
confused2.gif

Double what you are changing it at is not considered "extended OCI's" so long as you aren't short tripping like crazy.

PP can do 5-6K in your applications.

^^^ What he said!

Originally Posted by ekpolk
The only thing that's likely to explode is your wallet if you keep using oils like that for an OCI that's more appropriate to the cars of the 50s-70s! Try at least one UOA at the 3k point to see how good oil can still be at this point.

^^^^^What he said!! It's your money, your cars and your life. How you choose to spend your time & money is your business....My .02 cents is you're wasting it. For about the same price as an oil change, do a UOA; see how much life is left in the oil. You don't need to keep doing UOA; but for your own time & money's sake, at least set precedent. Until you do a UOA, anything that anyone says is speculation...Prove me wrong? PLEASE

confused2.gif

Are any of your vehicles Turbo GDI and having problems with LSPI?
If not, even a conventional SN rated oil is fine for 3000 miles, even 6000 depending on your exact driving conditions (only for sure way to know is a UOA).

Now if you want to keep spending 2x as much on oil per change and then keep changing twice as often (so spending 4x as much as you should be), that is fine, but not needed.

Originally Posted by blupupher
confused2.gif

Are any of your vehicles Turbo GDI and having problems with LSPI?
If not, even a conventional SN rated oil is fine for 3000 miles, even 6000 depending on your exact driving conditions (only for sure way to know is a UOA).

Now if you want to keep spending 2x as much on oil per change and then keep changing twice as often (so spending 4x as much as you should be), that is fine, but not needed.

I believe it's a maintenance minder in the models noted in the OP's sig. But even before then Honda was recommending 10k mile normal and 5k mile severe OCIs.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
It's the equivalent if someone stated today the best car tire is the General RT43.

There;s a better tire than the RT43?
Hogwash!

Thanks everyone.

For now, I'll probably stick to 4K-5K, which I have been doing previously and won't sweat about being a Euro AV
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by skyactiv
It's the equivalent if someone stated today the best car tire is the General RT43.

There;s a better tire than the RT43?
Hogwash!

Probably Michelins, with their dry rot or cracking?
wink.gif

Thanks everyone.

For now, I'll probably stick to 4K-5K, which I have been doing previously and won't sweat about being a Euro AV
thumbsup2.gif

That is still a short OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back