Oil change after sitting for 2 years

Hi guys,

Car sitting for 2 years w/o starting, should I just drain and refill, or start, drain and refill?

Start the car let it idle for a few minutes and go for a ride to get the oil hot then do an oil filter change check the air cleaner etc before starting the engine up.

Hi guys,

Car sitting for 2 years w/o starting, should I just drain and refill, or start, drain and refill?
How old is the car? If it's carbureted I'd just pour a little two stroke gas down the throat before starting it then let it run a bit before changing the oil.

Start it up, take it for a short spin. Change the oil and filter then repeat in 1K miles, then switch to regular intervals.

I change the oil in my trail Jeep every few years. It mostly sits outside covered in the Winter. UOA's I completed way back were fine.
If it was put away clean, I would probably run it for a bit. Of course, if it bugs you, quality oil is still relatively inexpensive.

After 2 years the oil additives may have started to oxidise so the oil wont give you the full protection you might need if you want to take the car to the track or do some prolonged heavy towing.

Will it protect the engine if you start it, drive normally till the oil warms up so you can change it? Of course. Its probably still better quality oil than the new oil that was available when the car engine was designed!

I would see if it starts before doing any draining and refilling. Once it seems to run adequately, or drivable, warm it up, take it for a short drive and change it.

Forget about the age of the oil and focus on how many miles on it and go from there.

If it's a valuable engine, I might pull the plugs and squirt a little in the cylinders before first start. Sitting for two years is the issue, not the oil itself. If the vehicle cuts fuel by holding the gas pedal down while cranking, I'd do that for 10 seconds too, or could pull the fuel pump fuse instead, crank, put it back in.

If it has two year old gas in it, that's something else to look at.

Back