Oil catch cans with 3 inlets/outlets....why?

Thinking of adding a catch can to the Hyundai with 2.0 turbo gdi

I have noticed some catch cans have an in and and out (2) while other cans have 3. What is the purpose of the third one? What does it go to?

turbo cars can have multiple outlets, 1 before and 1 after turbo
I know the normal route is PCV valve hose to inlet and outlet to the intake.
So the third would connect to before the turbo to stop oil vapors going into turbo or after to catch any oil?

Last edited:
I know the normal route is PCV valve hose to inlet and outlet to the intake.
So the third would connect to before the turbo to stop oil vapors going into turbo or after to catch any oil?

it's going there when the engine is boosting, can't move it to a place with more pressure

Maybe something like this setup I have that includes a venturi off the turbo to put more vacuum on the PCV than just the intake? Don't forget to smash that like and subscribe! 🤣 I don't believe in catch cans...

I don't believe in catch cans...
Oil catch cans work; they partially catch oil mist and vapors. In winter, if the catch can is too far from a heating source, it can fill up with water pretty fast.

The problem lies with the overpriced and "overengineered" oil catch cans, which are mostly gimmicks.

The efficacy of an oil catch can is directly proportional to the quality of the PCV system. For a well-engineered PCV system, you shouldn't need an oil catch can. However, for systems that were an engineering afterthought and allow tons of oil into the intake manifold, an oil catch can is absolutely worth it.

The net benefit is that, once you keep oil out of your intake manifold (for engines with low-quality PCV systems), your pistons and cylinders will be cleaner, not to mention intake valves on GDI engines. Your fuel economy will slightly improve because the ECM won't need to retard the timing as much; motor oil mixed with fuel tends to lower the octane rating. I've seen it work. Then again, I drive cheap blue-collar-type vehicles, where the PCV system was an afterthought.

Back