ohtsu replacement tires from discount tire?

OHTSU FP0612 A/S175/65 R15 84H SL BSW
four replacement tires for my plain vanilla, part time, snowbird 2014 toyota yaris l. 3k miles/yr in hot sw. underground garaged. im more worried about dry rot than treadwear life. some highway driving, mostly around the city, a few miles on desert dirt roads. no snow, little rain. i like discount tire, searched online other vendors, but return to d.t. for price & availability. all in $417 including 10% military discount, fees, taxes, etc, which is about my upper limit. looks like i may add a $60 rebate with d.t. credit card (that i pay off immediately).

thoughts on ohtsu for my price and useage? thanks!

Ohtsu is a sister company to Falken, and they look just like the ZE-912's I had on both our cars at one point. Assuming the FP0612 is a similar/same tire to the 912, I liked them very much. Smooth and quiet and actually somewhat sporty. They just didn't last very long.

Looking at their site, the 'name brand' Continental ProContact is cheaper ($67 vs $75, at least near me) with a longer warranty and rated higher (by them) so they may be worth considering.

I put Ohtsu tires on my old Accord because I didn't think I was going to keep it much longer. The # even sounds familiar.... Just looked at DT's website and the price and tread pattern definitely look familiar. Anyway, they were just fine with the only negative being they wore out between 25-30k miles but I replaced them at DT and they gave me some "credit" for them since they didn't last 40k miles like they're rated. These were used in southwest Ohio too so they dealt with rain, snow, as well as 95+ weather. In your scenario, I say go for them.

Ohtsu is a sister company to Falken, and they look just like the ZE-912's I had on both our cars at one point. Assuming the FP0612 is a similar/same tire to the 912, I liked them very much. Smooth and quiet and actually somewhat sporty. They just didn't last very long.

Looking at their site, the 'name brand' Continental ProContact is cheaper ($67 vs $75, at least near me) with a longer warranty and rated higher (by them) so they may be worth considering.
Asia

To be more precise, Ohtsu and Falken are brands manufactured by Sumitomo, an established 100 year old Japanese tire company. Sumitomo also manufactures Dunlop for Asian markets.

thank you everyone for helpful comments.

circling back...what is opinion regarding GT RADIALCHAMPIRO TOURING A/S, also at d.t? similar price, longer tread life, though my focus is on tire age rather than mileage wear.

I had a set of GT Radial Champiro IcePro snows for our 2016 Nissan Quest Minivan. I ran them for two winters and sold them off the facehole marketplace when we sold the van.

The problem with low cost tires and heavy vehicles like minivans and SUVs is you'll be lucky to get ~30K miles out of the tires, so you have to be mindful of that. Is the initial cost savings is worth it? For me it usually is. If I buy a premium tire, I tend to wind up with non-repairable flats or other issues long before all 4 are worn out.

For a cheapy tire that I am absolutely loving so far are the Crosswind HP10 Plus I have on our 2019 Nissan Pathfinder in stock 235/65/18 flavor. Put about 10K miles on them so far with no obvious wear. With tax and all the set of 4 was right around $400 all-in.

GT Radial is Giti Tire, also known for making Firestone’s Primewell line up. Giti is now OEM for VW.

Ohtsu is part of Sumitomo Rubber Industry, who makes Falken, Japanese Dunlop/Goodyear and a few brands for TBC. I’ve only seen Ohtsu at Les Schwab. Sumitomo sold at Tire Rack and Big O and Falken seem to be the most well known of the SRI/TBC brands.

circling back again... got 4 yokohama yk 740gtx, about $200 more than the gt champiro. there were no gt tires available within 1000 miles/5 days (supply chain woes?). cooper evolution could be had in 2 days for $100 more than the gt but with various promotions yokohamas ended up about the same price as the coopers. dt also gave me a promo referral for an alignment for $50. these yokohamas appear to be a dt in-house product, get good reviews. as usual dt gave excellent, efficient, polite service, i cannot recommend dt enough.

Back