Oh no, what happened while i was gone (castrol content...)

It is $22 for 5qt. Still cheaper+ better oil. Wal Mart.
What makes the Castrol or M1 better?

It's certainly not as green.

990303_x800.webp

What makes the Castrol or M1 better?

It's certainly not as green.

990303_x800.webp
True. Not green, and no oversized Made in Germany letters.
Pretty much everything. Lower Noack (which is telling as those are 0W40 oils, so harder to achieve compared to 5W40), high HTHS, much better base stocks and if internal cleanliness is important, you can’t get better than M1 0W40 considering amount of additives.
Green color is the only thing that Liqui Moly has in common with Castrol 0W30. It is far cry from GC.

True. Not green, and no oversized Made in Germany letters.
Pretty much everything. Lower Noack (which is telling as those are 0W40 oils, so harder to achieve compared to 5W40), high HTHS, much better base stocks and if internal cleanliness is important, you can’t get better than M1 0W40 considering amount of additives.
Green color is the only thing that Liqui Moly has in common with Castrol 0W30. It is far cry from GC.
If you're getting the LiquiMoly, I thought you would have gotten it from FCP Euro for their lifetime guarantee. The LM isn't bad, but when there are better oils for a cheaper price, it begs the question.

Well, what's ordered is ordered, and I have long been a supporter and user of ECS so I'm comfortable with using them to get the oil and filter delivered. I'm certain as long as it meets the BMW spec the engine will be fine, especially considering the low demanding service it will be subject to these days.

the next frontier is the brake system. after 5 years of storage the rotors are a rusty mess and the brakes feel a little spongy, so i think a fluid change and pad/rotor swap is next.

coolant exchange is also on the list as well as the rear diff.

oof, lots to do!

Well, what's ordered is ordered, and I have long been a supporter and user of ECS so I'm comfortable with using them to get the oil and filter delivered. I'm certain as long as it meets the BMW spec the engine will be fine, especially considering the low demanding service it will be subject to these days.
You don't "meet a BMW spec", you obtain a BMW approval which that oil does not have. If you were worried about the Castrol product then in reality this isn't any better in that regard.

They don't even say it meets the requirements for that approval only that "LIQUI MOLY RECOMMENDS THIS PRODUCT FOR VEHICLES THAT NEEDS TO COMPLY THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS".

Last edited:
I'm feeling a lot of non-love for liquimoly in this thread, lol.

it's green people. it's freaking green.

:)

I'm feeling a lot of non-love for liquimoly in this thread, lol.

it's green people. it's freaking green.

:)
That's pretty much the argument people make when they don't have anything technical to recommend the product.

It's really that you started this thread because the Castrol product no longer had the required approval for your vehicle but then you go purchase another product that likewise does not have the approval. As Quattro Pete notes the Castrol and the Mobil 1 products both had Longilife-01 approval prior to the approval change, and I'm going to guess that both still would qualify for the old approval which is what I'm assuming your vehicle requires? Or is this a brand-new BMW? Porsche A40 approval is very much an acceptable surrogate for Longife-01, at least for what LL-01 used to be before it was changed.

None of this has anything to do with love or "non-love" for Liqui Moly but you and another poster on this board certainly look at it that way. Liqui Moly sells oils with Longlife-01 approval, right? ECS should have sold you that if they were honest.

That's pretty much the argument people make when they don't have anything technical to recommend the product.

It's really that you started this thread because the Castrol product no longer had the required approval for your vehicle but then you go purchase another product that likewise does not have the approval. As Quattro Pete notes the Castrol and the Mobil 1 products both had Longilife-01 approval prior to the approval change, and I'm going to guess that both still would qualify for the old approval which is what I'm assuming your vehicle requires? Or is this a brand-new BMW? Porsche A40 approval is very much an acceptable surrogate for Longife-01, at least for what LL-01 used to be before it was changed.

None of this has anything to do with love or "non-love" for Liqui Moly but you and another poster on this board certainly look at it that way. Liqui Moly sells oils with Longlife-01 approval, right? ECS should have sold you that if they were honest.

Well, that's not quite right. I started the thread because the old German Castrol is no longer on store shelves and I wondered what Castrol did to reconfigure their oil offerings, particularly in the euro space. The auto parts store I initially visited didnt carry the 0-40 euro formula or were out of stock or whatever, so i didnt see it and started this thread.

To be honest, I did jump the gun on the liquimoly order, I quickly looked at the bottle, saw the LL-01 and assumed (incorrectly...) that it had LL-01 approval, but as pointed out here, that was a little misleading.

Not worried as this BMW will likely see less than 3k miles between oil changes and have a pretty low stress life. I'll likely go back to the Castrol product next year. My driving life has changed completely, but when I was commuting heavily I put over 300k on a series of BMW I6 engines without too much maintenance trouble and had been a longtime Castrol user. I guess I was just disappointed that me old standby GC was gone.

Well, that's not quite right. I started the thread because the old German Castrol is no longer on store shelves and I wondered what Castrol did to reconfigure their oil offerings, particularly in the euro space. The auto parts store I initially visited didnt carry the 0-40 euro formula or were out of stock or whatever, so i didnt see it and started this thread.

To be honest, I did jump the gun on the liquimoly order, I quickly looked at the bottle, saw the LL-01 and assumed (incorrectly...) that it had LL-01 approval, but as pointed out here, that was a little misleading.

Not worried as this BMW will likely see less than 3k miles between oil changes and have a pretty low stress life. I'll likely go back to the Castrol product next year. My driving life has changed completely, but when I was commuting heavily I put over 300k on a series of BMW I6 engines without too much maintenance trouble and had been a longtime Castrol user. I guess I was just disappointed that me old standby GC was gone.
N52 can run on any European approval. It is still demanding engine on oil in general, but any European manufacturer approved oil will cut it.
MB229.5 is the approval that is IMO gold standard. If oil has that, it can be used in any European gas engine.

aren't these still current?

WHAT ARE THE AVAILABLE VISCOSITY GRADES OF BMW GROUP ENGINE OIL?​

The four available viscosities for the BMW Group Engine Oil are: 10W-60, 0W-20, 0W-30 and 5W-30.

aren't these still current?

WHAT ARE THE AVAILABLE VISCOSITY GRADES OF BMW GROUP ENGINE OIL?​

The four available viscosities for the BMW Group Engine Oil are: 10W-60, 0W-20, 0W-30 and 5W-30.
Approval is what matters as mentioned. Grade is irrelevant.
If you want to go deeper into the subject then it gets more complicated depending on engines (current vs. old) etc. But for just average driver approval is only what matters!

Approval is what matters as mentioned. Grade is irrelevant.
If you want to go deeper into the subject then it gets more complicated depending on engines (current vs. old) etc. But for just average driver approval is only what matters!
So the BMW branded oils are NOT approved??

"As part of the recent program, bp will continue to produce BMW Group’s branded engine oils which meet the OEM’s most recent and rigorous engine specifications including LL-17 FE+ and LL-12 FE as well as older generation specifications such as LL-01 and LL-04. The BMW branded lubricant formulations are based on Castrol EDGE, a leading full synthetic brand strengthened by Fluid Titanium Technology which increases film strength, reduces friction, and improves lubrication under the intense pressure of high output engines."
“We are honored to have been selected by the BMW Group to resume our position as their lubricant supplier. The BMW brand is both iconic and globally recognized as a symbol of performance engineering, which is well aligned with bp market position. We look forward to future collaboration in lubricant development as well as the pursuit of new sustainability initiatives,” said Laura Posadas Regional President, Castrol Americas."

So the BMW branded oils are NOT approved??

"As part of the recent program, bp will continue to produce BMW Group’s branded engine oils which meet the OEM’s most recent and rigorous engine specifications including LL-17 FE+ and LL-12 FE as well as older generation specifications such as LL-01 and LL-04. The BMW branded lubricant formulations are based on Castrol EDGE, a leading full synthetic brand strengthened by Fluid Titanium Technology which increases film strength, reduces friction, and improves lubrication under the intense pressure of high output engines."
“We are honored to have been selected by the BMW Group to resume our position as their lubricant supplier. The BMW brand is both iconic and globally recognized as a symbol of performance engineering, which is well aligned with bp market position. We look forward to future collaboration in lubricant development as well as the pursuit of new sustainability initiatives,” said Laura Posadas Regional President, Castrol Americas."
They are. But in the real-world you can use any oil that has approval.
When Shell was a supplier of TPT until this year, they had several BMW branded oil that had exceptional performance characteristics, especially TPT 5W30 LL01 and 0W40 M Performance. Not sure current Castrol offerings are on the same level. We will have to wait and see.

Back