Oh no, what happened while i was gone (castrol content...)

Come to think about it, what if your car was serviced at Jiffy Lube, NTB, Firestone or any other quick oil changes, I wonder what oil & filter they're going to use. And a lot of those people who own expensive European, Japanese & American cars go to to these quick oil changes, doesn't seem to care what oil is put into their vehicles. :ROFLMAO:

Come to think about it, what if your car was serviced at Jiffy Lube, NTB, Firestone or any other quick oil changes, I wonder what oil & filter they're going to use. And a lot of those people who own expensive European, Japanese & American cars go to to these quick oil changes, doesn't seem to care what oil is put into their vehicles. :ROFLMAO:
I would hope an oil with the correct approvals, but I’m not sure.

Definitely scares me

I would hope an oil with the correct approvals, but I’m not sure.

Definitely scares me
I used to have to take our company car over to the "jiffy lube" now and then, and one time I casually asked them about that in reference to my BMW. He said they always use a lubricant that carries the manufacturer's required approval.

Oh but they do care.

$5.26 is the difference between Vanilla and Premium oil changes? Uh, no.
It's more like the difference between Castrol GTX @$13 per 5 liter bottle and Motul X-Clean C3 @$50 per 5 liter bottle.
If $5.26 breaks the bank, one can't afford a car.

Hi guys! I've been away for a long while. Long story short, i switched jobs a little over 5 years ago and no longer needed to commute, so i put my 07 BMW 328 in storage. I'm moving houses and need to move the car, so i pulled it out after an >5 year storage period and it fired right up.

Of course, I need an oil change so I strolled over to Autozone to look for some German made 0W-30 Castrol oil. Was surprised to see not one bottle of castrol that i looked at had the BMW approval printed on the back. The Castrol website confirms 5w40 is the only oil they have with the BMW approval?

I have owned the BMW since very near new and it has always run on German Castrol, it has about 95k on it and i'm looking to return it to road service, but it looks like i need to find a new oil.

What happened to Castrol's euro oil program that they dropped BMW approval for most of their lineup, specifically my much loved 0w-30 oil, the old green stuff???
I've always used the mobil1 0w-40 in that engine and it was fine with it,. I use the castrol 5w-40 now in my other bmw and it seems to be ok, do you need 0w?

Closing the loop, went with the "build your own" oil change pack from ECS tuning. 62 bucks delivered for 7 liters of LiquiMoly Molygen 5w-40 which carries the LL01 cert and a Mann filter. This is a seldom use car, so I figure that should be an annual charge at this point.

Closing the loop, went with the "build your own" oil change pack from ECS tuning. 62 bucks delivered for 7 liters of LiquiMoly Molygen 5w-40 which carries the LL01 cert and a Mann filter. This is a seldom use car, so I figure that should be an annual charge at this point.
I just cannot help myself not asking this question, but what prompted you to spend $62 for average oil over $22-24 for top of the line Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40?
As stated before, LL01 is irrelevant in E90 engines, especially in N51/52.

I just cannot help myself not asking this question, but what prompted you to spend $62 for average oil over $22-24 for top of the line Castrol 0W40 or Mobil1 0W40?
As stated before, LL01 is irrelevant in E90 engines, especially in N51/52.

where does one find 7 quarts of that castrol or M1 for 22 dollars?

Back