OEM parts sometimes cheaper than aftermarket or used

Status
Not open for further replies.
Noticed the master cylinder cap missing on an old Taurus I got recently. Stuck some aluminum foil on top of it as a temporary measure and started searching online. I could probably get one at the pick&pull for just the price of the $2 admission but 30 miles each way is too far for one small part. Found that Dorman sells them at Advance. $7 for just the cap and ANOTHER $7 for the gasket: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/find/ford-taurus-master-cylinder-caps-gaskets [censored] no. Then I check Ebay. 7 bucks + $3 shipping for a used one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-1999-...8063681?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10 [censored] no. Then I call my Ford dealer. Says they can get it for tomorrow. All of $1.48 INCLUDING the gasket. [censored] yea.

I have a Ford
I visit my relatives in the District
I will go to this Ford dealership with a part number
I will get back to you all the board after they surprise me with a great price on something
What's the dealer's name?

The stuff on EBAY is expensive. I saw some Motorcraft orange coolant for $205. And others for $40. Amszon it $28. I looked through the $205 listing for it to say a package of 6 gallons. But could not find that.

Unsure why anyone pays more than Amazon prices. And some of Amazon's prices are high if its not something sold & shipped by Amazon but by a 3rd party.

Originally Posted by atikovi
But I think the price should be the same at any Ford dealer.

No. The "list" price will be the same at all Ford dealers but they all set their own discounts off of that pricing for various customers. A pain in the [censored] customer - they're charged full list price. A repair shop that they have a good relationship with ? A steep discount. A frequent DIY person ? Somewhere in the middle.

For caps of all kinds, I prefer OE anyway, even if the aftermarket option is cheaper. The power steering caps Dorman offers for my applications have a very loose fit and just look cheap. The ones from Ford do cost about twice as much, but for a few dollars more I'd rather have something that actually fits snugly and seals, plus has the correct yellow printed text on it. All the better when they do end up being cheaper.

Somehow batteries have been very inexpensive from the dealers recently. I had one today for an 08 750li, list was 282 on a 90 ah 900 CCA AGM from the dealer. Comparable Bosch AGM was carrying 386$ list from a local supplier.

Last edited:
I live in the same area as you and that price sounds like either the cost or mechanic price. I have bought several ford parts in the area, even heavy duty truck parts. Price difference between mechanic and street price can be double or more.

That has been my experience with BMW and Mazda parts many times. Online authorized dealers often beat aftermarket prices.

I have been pleasantly surprised several times to find that I could get a genuine Mopar part from the dealership for the same or cheaper than an aftermarket alternative. The main issue that prevents me from shopping them every time is their hours of business. There are many times I need to get a part after 4 pm on a weekday or any time on the weekend, yet I'm out of luck if depending upon the dealership to handle that business.

They have also had a string of frustrating interactions with me lately in that they keep changing my order after I order it (for local pickup when available). It seems their own website doesn't have a good way of distinguishing between the Pursuit model Chargers and other trims for some parts where it really matters. So I will order a part for my engine, like a radiator hose for example, which is for the SRT 6.4L Charger (because that's what my cooling system is) but they will run my VIN and change my order to the one for an R/T. Then I have to go through a whole back and forth with them to get it changed back.

I know it's not necessarily their fault, as the problem really lies with the underlying software their website uses, but still, it makes for a frustrating experience sometimes and one which I will avoid if I know is coming.

Originally Posted by Audios
Somehow batteries have been very inexpensive from the dealers recently. I had one today for an 08 750li, list was 282 on a 90 ah 900 CCA AGM from the dealer. Comparable Bosch AGM was carrying 386$ list from a local supplier.

The "boot" battery for a Prius is cheaper from my local Toyota dealer than O'Reilly, and it's the same OEM GS Yuasa EFB(it's not an AGM, I can hear electrolyte slosh around). Filters and a few other things are cheaper there than a mainstream parts store.

I ran in to that with a pcv valve for a ford mod motor, its was 5.99 at ford and online and local stores were 7.99 to 14.99. When I picked up the part the counter guy asked me "what the heck is this"? me: its a pcv for a mod motor, "oh, I dont know what that is".

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
I ran in to that with a pcv valve for a ford mod motor, its was 5.99 at ford and online and local stores were 7.99 to 14.99. When I picked up the part the counter guy asked me "what the heck is this"? me: its a pcv for a mod motor, "oh, I dont know what that is".

Not all the parts people are "up on the lingo" when it comes to nicknames used for cars/engines. I have a few RX-7 owners who get excited when I refer to their cars as a FC or FD.

Almost always used OEM myself because it was cheaper than aftermarket. Or only a couple percent more. Filters, fluids (not oil), camshaft, alternators, batteries had good warranties and lasted fine, rotors, calipers, pads.

For instance, wipers on my Toyota. $8.99 for a replacement insert. Last ones lasted about 2.5 years before streaking. Even on sale you'd need the higher end aftermarket wiper replacement to get 2.5 years and finding them for $8.99...I rarely, if ever, see it. Oil filters $5-6. Cabin air filter $19. Engine $17. I bought aftermarket cabin last year, 2 for $20 on Amazon. They were definitely cheaper quality but were carbon/charcoal type. They fit all weird and annoying though. Is it worth $7 every 1-2 years?

Originally Posted by Audios

I guess the $35 recon battery in mine was a steal, got 6 years on one in my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back