OEM Filter Good For 10k Miles?

Hmm it appears so judging by this filter that went for 10,xxx ride in a Jaguar😱😎

Attachments

• 6E220060-5881-4E7E-BE41-6B2FB7BF5C0E.jpeg
    6E220060-5881-4E7E-BE41-6B2FB7BF5C0E.jpeg
    200 KB · Views: 16
  • 44B4E0D4-FC08-4169-8396-152007D2E5A2.jpeg
    44B4E0D4-FC08-4169-8396-152007D2E5A2.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 16
The excessive cylinder wear has to be from a lack of lubrication on those cylinders if the two inner cylinders aren't worn the same. He mentions oil jets, and that they can become clogged. Wonder if the oil jets on those two cylinders were clogged ... he never got into it that far. Plus, he doesn't show the rings on the two inner cylinders that didn't have excessive cylinder wear. I'm not so sure that stuck rings could cause a lack of lubrication between the piston skirts and cylinder ... you'd think it would increase lubrication from lack of oil control on the cylinder walls. But since only 2 of the 4 cylinders exhibited the wear, it has to be a lack of lubrication issue going on IMO.
The "divots" in the cylinder wall are just (somewhat) alarming, I honestly can't recall seeing or hearing of an engine failing like that before. Maybe the jets do more than just cool the underside of the piston(?), but 0W16 dealer bulk and 10K OCIs was a bad combo for that engine. Also a little surprised a JDM engine wasn't at least considered, I bet the bill would have been $1500 smaller.

Here's another: Do you believe in Toyota's lifetime transmission fluid? I ask because Aisin does not. On some forums, you are considered an idiot if "you think you know more than the Toyota engineers".
Depends on how one defines "lifetime" ...
If you buy a car with the intent to drive it maybe 5 years or 50k miles, then yes, it's "lifetime" to that owner because they won't drive it far enough to be of concern. LIfetime of ownership isn't equal to lifetime of vehicle, but folks often confuse those two. But generally I do NOT subscribe to "lifetime" fluid fills. Extended fills in certain situations - yes. But lifetime? Nope.

However, tranny fluid is not the topic of this thread. This is about an OEM filter being good for 10k miles. There was a time for many years when companies like Honda and Mitsubishi recommended oil filter changes every other oil change ... And that worked out fine as the OEM OCIs were not horrible. But with today's OEM OCIs getting out to 10k miles or so, I'd think that's a safe limit for an OEM filter.

if any fluid is REQUIRED it must be FREE!! said lubes etc are RECOMMENDED BUT if you are smart you can research + learn whats better IF you intend to keep your ride longer than many with deeper pockets who trade often!! LIFETIME anything means UNTIL your warranty runs out, then its your $$$$$ + they care NOT!! your $$$$$ your choice!!

Last edited:
Years ago an acquaitance didn't change factory oil and filter for 30,000+ miles . I know because I was asked to check it . Car was a '88 FORD Festiva ( Mazda 121 , 1.3 Ltr . ) used for food delivery and went on well over 130,000 miles . The oil was changed after that .

After the 30,000+ miles .

Back