OEM filter cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think engine air filter is the most importance of them all, and OEM engine filter is usually better quality, it may costs a little more than aftermarket, but since I keep it for 40-50k miles so the extra cost isn't much importance to me.

OEM oil filter isn't that great, after market oil filter can be better, as of now Fram Ultra spin-on oil filter is the best for the money(no more than $10/ea and Pep Boys has 20-35% off code regularly).

Cabin filter isn't importance, any filter can do the job. Remember that not long ago no vehicle had cabin filter and nobody suffered any illness. Therefore I buy cheap cabin filters for my cars. I even cut furnace filter(size 20"x30") to size to use it in my Honda S2000 and Volvo V70. One large furnace can be cut for more than 5-6 cabin filters.

Give Pentius brand a try for Cabin Air Filters and Engine Air Filters.

I bought them for my Fit, dirt cheap, and the work fantastic.

Also, the OEM seemed more restrictive as there seemed to be some PCV gunk getting sucked into the filter, not much but some "tarry" substance always on the bottom of the OEM filter.

I cleaned the mouth of the duct to see if the Pentius filters are letting any dirt past into the engine and clean as a whistle.

And the Cabin air filters from Pentius?? Fit like a glove.

Last edited:
I don't remember the exact figures but IIRC the Mazda dealer was asking somewhere between $20 and $25 for the engine air filter and somewhere between $25 and $30 for the cabin filter for my 2014 '6.

The Mazda filters seem to be higher quality than the aftermarket ones. I used a Mazda OEM air filter and a Wix cabin filter.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Cabin filter isn't importance, any filter can do the job. Remember that not long ago no vehicle had cabin filter and nobody suffered any illness. Therefore I buy cheap cabin filters for my cars. I even cut furnace filter(size 20"x30") to size to use it in my Honda S2000 and Volvo V70. One large furnace can be cut for more than 5-6 cabin filters.

My lungs and comfort are more important to me than what air my car's engine breathes. Dust, pollen and bad smells are drastically reduced by a quality CAF. Living in the desert, I know that breathing fine sand and trail dust is very unhealthy in the long run. Ever notice how much cleaner the interior stays in modern cars that havd a a CAF? In my old Sidekick I could wipe a 1/16" layer of sandy dust off the dash after a couple days of driving. I wouldn't cheap out on either the CAF or the EAF. There are less important areas to penny-pinch.

So you're staying indoor 24/7 ? Whenever you have a little walk outdoor you're breathing the same air that your car subjected to. Do you wear mask whenever you go outdoor ?

If we have unhealthy air like in some cities in China then the best CAF is needed, and wearing a mask whenever you go out is prudent.

What's happened to driver/passengers of pre-1990 vehicles without cabin filter ?

No, I am not talking about remove/eliminate cabin filter, I'm talking about use a good/reasonable price CAF(or home made one from furnace filter). No need for expensive OEM CAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back