OEM app of "Tornado" style vortex generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm assuming that the purpose of this vortex generator is to cause heavier particle to fall out of the air stream, as opposed to "spinning the air for a vortex of power", but it is interesting to see that this style of airflow modification might actually have some sort of benefit at all. This is a Baldwin filter on a Hyster forklift, and the replacement NAPA 2222 filter is exactly the same.

Huh... So I'm curious what this actually does on this scenario? Any particles you can get to fall out of suspension will immediately be sucked into the filter element as there is no where for them to settle to right? So I guess I don't see the benefit

It's just an ASSumption, pretty much. A lot of stationary power turbines have air intakes designed for heavy particles to fall out of suspension.

These forklifts (powered by propane fueled Vortec 4.3's, BTW) operate in a dirty, dusty yard all day long, and there was a lot of dirt in the filter can that was just sitting at the bottom. The larger of the intake openings leads directly to the base of the plastic portion, so it does not directly expose the filter to the intake stream, but rather the plastic shield deflects it into the vortex section, and then it reaches the filter media.

These lifts are reverse cooled, sucking air through the frame and engine bay, and then forcing it out through a rear mounted radiator, so the filter can lives in a VERY dirty environment, essentially at the front of a vacuum cleaner. The engine bay was RIDICULOUSLY dirty.

The smaller intake opening, toward the other end of the filter, forces the air to run into a plastic dome before it works its way to the filter media, and the cap on that end also held a lot of dirt that could not have reached the filter first, because that section is completely isolated from the filter media.

I was just blown away to see this setup actually used in OEM engineering. Industrial vehicles rarely waste any engineering on [censored]. It's got me thinking. I still need to get some hydraulic hoses replaced, and potentially install a new oil pan, so when I go to the lift truck depot, I'll be sure and ask if they know anything about this design.

Also worth noting is that the engine has a screw-on NAPA 1040 oil filter for a breather filter as equipped from the factory.

It's standard Toyota Landcruiser fare
http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/cyclone-air-filter-2f.711954/

Makes sense that it would go on Toyota's other stuff.

Most of the fins got chucked out early in the vehicle lives of the Cruisers...my BJ42 showed that fin thing in the manual, but mine didn't have it.

Intent is to make the heavy stuff not make it to the element, and maybe work into/through a pleat.

Had a little dust bowl underneath.

Later ones had a tangential air inlet, which was supposed to do the same.

My Nissan has a little swirl chamber in the inlet with a dust nipple to spin out the rocks (didn't work with water).

Ah, so my half assed theory might've just become a full [censored]!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Ah, so my half assed theory might've just become a full [censored]!
laugh.gif

Only quoted so that I could see what I was responding to...Yes ....
thumbsup2.gif

GM should incorporate them into their Silveraydoes with Vortec engines. I here they are made from real tornadoes...

a clamp on a flexible intake tube will do just as well ,we had that on big rig ,it is the same principle as carburetor but applied elsewhere.(powder to the eyes)

Most of the big canister style air filters I see on off road equipment has some form of that type of filter. They are very effective in construction equipment.

Today, I looked in one of our Clark lift trucks, and it has a closed baffled bowl on the other end of the filter. It was full of dirt, where the main filter can had nothing in it more than a light dusting.

Somehow, the vanes cause the heavier dirt to go all the way to the back of the can and become trapped in the baffle back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back