OCI, Owners manual versus oil Mfg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by VQLT
Mobil one makes a 20,000 mile or one year motor oil. I'm not sure when this oil was introduced but if it was around in 2006 do you think the car manufactures would've Specd 10, 15 or 20,000 mile oil change instead of 5000 OCI? That was really the point I was trying to make with modern oil's that were not around 15 years ago can you now extend out your oil changes
No. Automakers often go by there standards to come up with the OCI. Lubricant companies having extended OCI products is nothing new. Amsoil came around, then Mobil 1. They all had products out claiming extended OCI long before your Scion was made. So with your question, automakers could of done an 10,000 to 20,000 mile OCI back in the 1970's, but would of the consumers went and bought the more expensive synthetic? Just like today, probably not.

I remember years ago Saab was early with recommending 10,000 mile oil changes on the 9-5. Part of the issues was people using cheap oil and part of the problem was part of the exhaust system was routed near the oil pan. Many of those engines ended up sludging. Stuff like this might be why manufacturers just stay with 5,000 oci. That and they don't want you to know how much oil the engines burn under a 10,000 mile oci while under warranty.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of extended oil changes.
You still get contamination by dirt/fuel ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back