OCI for Toyota 4.7 V8

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Pitbull:
Had it changed today at 1700 miles (new truck). Dealer recommends 5K mile OCI using Castrol GTX dino 5w30 oil. Think this will be good enough?

We have a Sequoia with that engine. It's a fantastic design. My wife is a low mileage driver (ours is an '01, three years old, and has only 27k miles), so I use Mobil-1 5w-30 and change every six months. Even with M-1 5w-30's tendency to evaporate, this engine has never consumed a drop. You'll probably be fine with your plan, but you might want to consider something else if you plan to tow.

If it were my vechile I would continue to follow the 7500 or 5 month guidlines that Toyota recomends. I would use M1 SUV 5W40. After the first year I would probably migrate to a twice a year scdedule of SUV 5W40.

If you feel compelled to use a recomended weight I would make it M1 10W30.

These engines are so easy on the oil that it is silly to spend huge money on a Exotic boutique oil!

If you simply do not want to spend money for synthetic use 10W30 Delo,Chevron Supreme or Havoline. Stay away from OTC 5W30 Dino oils and consider staying under 5000 miles with dino.

The Toyota 4.7L V8 does well with just about any oil meeting factory specs. Check out the UOA section on this engine. There's almost no wear with all kinds of brands! Although, I'd run a good synthetic at 5K-7K intervals and it'll last you over 300K easily!

quote:

Originally posted by Grossomotto:
The Toyota 4.7L V8 does well with just about any oil meeting factory specs. Check out the UOA section on this engine. There's almost no wear with all kinds of brands! Although, I'd run a good synthetic at 5K-7K intervals and it'll last you over 300K easily!

The dealer offers Castrol syntech(sp) (synthetic) as a option. Is this stuff any good compared to the GTX? Would you feel better running the Castrol Synthetic oil for the 5K changes, versus the GTX?

I have an 2001 Tundra. The dealer's recommendation is right out of the manual. The GTX 5W-30 (or 10W-30) will work fine, probably even at 5k miles in this engine if you do mainly highway driving and are fairly easy on the vehicle. I would not be able to run it that long though. I don't do much highway driving and would worry about it. I changed mine at 3-4k intervals for the first 20k miles. I am currently using Schaeffer's blend in mine (great oil BTW), but Mobil 1 has also shown to do an excellent job in both the 5w and 10W-30 flavors for >5k intervals. Check out the used oil analysis section.

I would definately not switch to a synthetic until 10-20k miles though. You will hear differing opinions, but there are too many stories about high consumption with Mobil 1, and I have not been able to rule out this critical break-in period as being the cause. Until I tried the Schaeffer's, all I ever used was dino. I have never had a car burn a detectible amount of oil within the oil change interval. Of course, I haven't put over 130k miles on any of my cars either. YMMV

If it is a synthetic 5W30 I do not see a problem with that but please do not put a conventional 5W30 in!!! THe 5W30 all shear down to a 20Wt almost as soon as you put them in. The 5W30's leave way to many deposits behind in your engine. If you go with a conventional oil please make sure it is both SJ and CI4 rated!! Your engine will thank you way down the road!

Even though it is a new vehicle now, I will be trading it before the 90K mile timing belt change. I don't like dealing with vehicles over 100K mile interval plus I don't like driving vehicles that are over 5 years old. Only one I've ever had was a Toyota Landcruiser FZJ80 (95) with 136K miles on it. Loved that truck but could not wear it out. Someone got a great used truck.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back