OCI for Delvac 75W90 in pickup differential

Status
Not open for further replies.
The heavy trucks have a few gallons of fluid, pressure lubrication and sometimes have oil filters too.
Whats the capacity? 90k is probably doable, but if the capacity is small or if its worked hard it might be shorter.
Whats the factory specified fluid? Syn?

I drive 20k+ miles a year so I've done my differentials annually. Especially with the rear diff on my Impreza holding only .8 quart. With that little bit of oil splashing around in there, 20k is long enough IMO.

I don't know what to tell you. OTR trucks with tandem 20k lb drive axles hold 3.5 - 4.5 gallons of oil and my Meritor RS23 holds 5 gallons of oil.

Everything is so much bigger and slower turning in heavy truck diffs vs a pickup truck. Our diff temps don't get terribly hot, either.

Like most OTR trucks, mine left the factory with an approved synthetic lube (75W90) and as long as I change out the lube at 500k (and again use an approved lube), the warranty is good to 750k.

A little pickup/car diff is a whole different story. I'd stick with factory recommendation or at least test it at the recommendad interval to see how it's doing.

Changing diff oil every 30k? That seems awful frequent to me. I know I have 80w-90 in my old f-150 and I'd wager its been changed 2x in 245k miles and the diff isn't causing any problems.. I think ford recommends every 100k unless you sink it in water. Having said that I'd follow whatever the manufacturer recommends for your truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back