OCI and oil selection 2024 Ford Transit

After having purchased and used 3 Chevy Express cargo vans in the past 11 years, last Monday I purchased a 2024 Ford Transit 250 Long Wheelbase Mid-Roof.

I have religiously gotten the Chevys serviced with a 6000 mile OCI with PP, Castrol Edge, or Valvoline Synthetic.

Now that I have this Ford that is factory filled with Motorcraft and doesn't spec Dexos I'm trying to decide what to do. Especially since Ford switched to a 12qt oil pan for the 3.5 DPFI non-turbo engine.

I already dumped the factory fill at 2200 miles after the first week of ownership for Castrol GTX High Milage and a Purolator One filter. The engine quieted down some and seems to like it.

The owners manual states 15000 mile OCI I'm guessing because of the 12qt capacity.
I always shorten what the book says. My question is, can I run the Castrol GTX HM for 10000 miles? Connsidering Ford doubled the oil capacity I think I can, or should I switch over to a FS like Havoline and go 15000 miles? I'm not dumping 12qts of synthetic after 10000 miles.

Thanks!

If it was mine i think i'd use pennzoil platinum euro l 5w-30, castrol edge euro 5w-30, or quaker state euro 5w-40 and take it to 15k without worrying.

If it was mine I'd run HPL, Amsoil or Mobil 1 EP and go once a year.
I'm sorry I should have added the vehicle will see 2000-3000 miles a week. Not even HPL or Amsoil will last that long!

I have been used to a 6000 oci every 3 weeks or so. Was looking to go 10000 every 5 weeks on semi-synthetic to save a little change. 15000 oci on full synthetic would only stretch it to 6 or 7 weeks.

I'm sorry I should have added the vehicle will see 2000-3000 miles a week. Not even HPL or Amsoil will last that long!

I have been used to a 6000 oci every 3 weeks or so. Was looking to go 10000 every 5 weeks on semi-synthetic to save a little change. 15000 oci on full synthetic would only stretch it to 6 or 7 weeks.
That's possible to do in a week and if you really are driving that far you could do 25k with just an off the shelf euro oil like the 3 i suggested and you wouldn't be scraping the oxidation. In fact I'd actually suggest 15w-40 which is better for long drains and is more shear stable at high temps like Mobil delvac extreme.

It sounds as though you have it pretty well figured out already. What was your question again?

M1 sells the 12Qt garage packs at walmart. Once the break-in period was over, I would do a 10K run on M1 Euro 0-40 and see where I stood. I'm sure you could go 12-15K with that size sump but the UOA will tell you for sure.

It sounds as though you have it pretty well figured out already. What was your question again?
I'm sorry my initial post was a little long. It's a brand new van so I would like to stay withing factory spec during the warranty period.

I don't think 15000 miles on a semi-synthetic is wise even with the 12qt pan.

My question is that will something like Castrol GTX HM or equivalent be ok for a 10000mile/5 week oci?

Thanks

I'm sorry my initial post was a little long. It's a brand new van so I would like to stay withing factory spec during the warranty period.

I don't think 15000 miles on a semi-synthetic is wise even with the 12qt pan.

My question is that will something like Castrol GTX HM or equivalent be ok for a 10000mile/5 week oci?

Thanks
Probably, but sending off a used oil sample for analysis is the way to figure that out. You have to pay a little extra for the TBN analysis, but that will tell you how far you can push the OCI.

I might look into a bit more robust oil though. That 3.5 NA will be asked to do a lot in a 2500 chassis...presumably transporting a good bit of weight mostly all the time, would expect it to be wrung out a good bit.

Put a Fumoto drain valve on it, run HPL or Amsoil SS for 25k+ miles? 🤷‍♂️ With a 12qt sump it's doable and even more so because the engine will be running for long periods of time. You may even be able to go longer than that. Verify through a UOA.

The long trip driving will be easy on the oil, and you should be able to extend the OCI past 15k miles, even without a fancy boutique oil.

I'd pick any decent API SP Dexos1 Gen3 5W-30, and stick with a 15k OCI during warranty. Then, start doing some UOAs. The cost of a few UOAs will be paid off in no time if they allow you to extend the OCI.

I'd use a lab that can measure oxidation, since this might be the limiting factor with this type of driving and long OCIs. The best oil standard out there for oxidation resistance might be MB 229.52. I'd suggest trying Mobil 1 ESP 5W-30 for extended OCIs.

M1 sells the 12Qt garage packs at walmart. Once the break-in period was over, I would do a 10K run on M1 Euro 0-40 and see where I stood. I'm sure you could go 12-15K with that size sump but the UOA will tell you for susure

Probably, but sending off a used oil sample for analysis is the way to figure that out. You have to pay a little extra for the TBN analysis, but that will tell you how far you can push the OCI.

I might look into a bit more robust oil though. That 3.5 NA will be asked to do a lot in a 2500 chassis...presumably transporting a good bit of weight mostly all the time, would expect it to be wrung out a good bit.
I can get Havoline at Walmart for $41 that being said, my thinking was to stay with a semi-synthetic like the GTX HM or similar because I have a bunch of free Ford oil changes to use up. I know it doesn't make a difference but I don't want to be switching back and forth from a more premium synthetic to Motorcraft at the dealership.

What do you all think about the Havoline I mentioned? Cost is essential to me. Is a garage box of Mobil really 18 Dollard better IMHO no?

Thanks

I can get Havoline at Walmart for $41 that being said, my thinking was to stay with a semi-synthetic like the GTX HM or similar because I have a bunch of free Ford oil changes to use up. I know it doesn't make a difference but I don't want to be switching back and forth from a more premium synthetic to Motorcraft at the dealership.
Why would that be?

@wwillson is over 34k miles on his HPL, and @DirectRejection is putting 30k OCIs in about 8 weeks IIRC. They’ve both got UOAs posted, and they certainly don’t have 3 gallons of oil working in their favor.

At that kind of mileage I assume it’s mostly highway, and I’d venture a wild guess that with sump capacity and use case, 30-50k OCIs would not be a crazy guess. Shoot @High Performance Lubricants a PM and see what he recommends, then do some in-service UOAs to determine your drain points! 👍🏻

Why would that be?
I plan on using the free oil changes only when I'm at the dealership for something else, maybe 4 times a year. The other times I will do it myself. Personal preference?

I wanted to see how things go on "decent" semi-syn for 60,000 miles then would start to stretch the oil changes out with synthetic once out of warranty.

Last edited:
What did you do for the chevy’s? How many miles before you bought another? 15k OCI’s until out of warranty and then save money and time by going 20-30kand change when convenient. 3 gal of oil! No brainer.

The 3.5L n/a motor is from the Cyclone engine series; these are very robust engines. Because this is a longitudinal mount motor, it doesn't even have the infamous internal water pump issue; this makes it very reliable. These engines wear very well; typically great UOA results. And they run very clean; low concerns for soot/sludge.

Because they have a 12 quart sump in this application, the contamination dilution factor cannot be ignored. I have personally run up to 12k mile OCIs in my 2018 Taurus with the 3.5L n/a and a 6 quart sump (half of what you have) and got excellent wear data. The under-valve-cover views also showed no ill effects. All this with conventional ST oils. I backed that up with a 10k mile OCI with HPL; again great results. I also have about 500 or so UOAs from many sources of this engine; the macro data indicates that both the wear trends and contamination results are all very desirable in this engine series.

I would not hesitate to run the OE 15k mile OCIs, given the large sump capacity in your application. Every 5 weeks in your case given what you state.

So Ford still allows semi-syn? I thought they moved to full synthetic in their Owners Manual for 2024.
What does your Owners Manual state?
owners manual states Ford Motorcraft Semi-syn 5w30 or equivalent. Castrol GTX HM meets the spec and that's what's in there right now with about 3000 miles on it.

Back