Occasional issues fueling

Before I get into the details, I'm fully aware that Nissan has a recall campaign for the fuel filler neck if there's difficulty fueling consistently. However, my issue is only occasional so I would like to know how to possibly remedy it myself.

About every other time I get gas, I have to click the nozzle 20 or so times before it actually starts pumping, and once it gets going it doesn't stop until it begins overfilling and spraying out of the filler neck all over the side of my car. It's done this at a couple different gas stations so I know it isn't isolated to one pump.

Other times however it works perfectly fine and starts pumping on the first try and stops when it should.

I don't have any evap codes, or any codes at all for that matter, and I never smell any gas fumes or notice anything that would seem off.

Anybody know why this may be or what I should take a look at when I find the time?

Before I get into the details, I'm fully aware that Nissan has a recall campaign for the fuel filler neck if there's difficulty fueling consistently. However, my issue is only occasional so I would like to know how to possibly remedy it myself.

About every other time I get gas, I have to click the nozzle 20 or so times before it actually starts pumping, and once it gets going it doesn't stop until it begins overfilling and spraying out of the filler neck all over the side of my car. It's done this at a couple different gas stations so I know it isn't isolated to one pump.

Other times however it works perfectly fine and starts pumping on the first try and stops when it should.

I don't have any evap codes, or any codes at all for that matter, and I never smell any gas fumes or notice anything that would seem off.

Anybody know why this may be or what I should take a look at when I find the time?

Is there a reason you don't want the recall performed to make life easy on yourself? They are going to perform this-if you tell them you have trouble putting in fuel. What's the issue?

Are you in the middle- of-no where Idaho?

Is there a reason you don't want the recall performed to make life easy on yourself? They are going to perform this-if you tell them you have trouble putting in fuel. What's the issue?
The way the recall information is worded, it sounds like they only replace it if the issue occurs every single time you go to get gas, mine is only occasionally.

I only have issues occasionally but it does " sing " to me every time I fuel up . I might ask about it next time I get an oil change .

Assuming this is in regards to the 2014 Pathfinder in your sig, I have the same vehicle, but a 2019. I'm rarely in it, but my bride fills it up every 3-4 days and she hadn't mentioned this issue. It's got about 61K miles on it.

Assuming this is in regards to the 2014 Pathfinder in your sig, I have the same vehicle, but a 2019. I'm rarely in it, but my bride fills it up every 3-4 days and she hadn't mentioned this issue. It's got about 61K miles on it.
Yeah it's for my 2014 Pathfinder. Bought it April of last year but this is a recent issue

The way the recall information is worded, it sounds like they only replace it if the issue occurs every single time you go to get gas, mine is only occasionally.

Tell them you can't fill you gas tank. They are not going to go out and refill your gas tank multiple times to see if your request is unreasonable. Idaho has some wide open spaces-do you want this problem out in the middle of nowhere? I mean C'mon.

I had a Honda Accord that did this. There was No recall on this car and the dealer blew me off. It was terrible filling the car in the winter as I had to hold the trigger to only fill the gas tank slowly. Ain’t no one got time for that! 🤬
This was one Accord that we didn’t keep long, for other reasons too.

Last edited:
Every other time is more than occasional. That is way too often.

I would see if they would perform the recall. Worse they can say is no.

Gas spraying out is dangerous.

If it’s a manufacturer recall and you’ve received a recall notice for said issue, the recall is still open.
However if you haven’t received a notice due to not falling into the number of vehicles being recalled, you can still qualify. It may take a bit of time & persistence.

Back