Obsolete forklift - help update fluid requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbi

Hi Y'all,

First post. I've been sent to this site many times over the years by Google searches, but this is the first time I couldn't find my answer without opening my mouth to ask the question. A big 'thank you' for all of the past help you've never known you provided.
smile.gif

I own a small welding business and in the course of work this past year we needed an inexpensive, relatively large forklift. So we ended up with a Roanoke Hustler 12k capacity machine. Pretty good-sized machine that weighs around 16,000 lbs and is powered by a JD 219 diesel 4-cyl of about 60 hp. It's pretty far gone, looks-wise, but is still functional and is getting the job done for our needs. I'm updating some of the maintenance as I get time, but being careful about the amount of money put into it.

Let me describe the issues I'm having, the condition of the fluids, the fluid recommendations from 40 years ago when the manual was printed, and ask you for suggestions if you don't mind.

First, on the hydraulics. The main cylinder doesn't leak at all, and doesn't drift. The tilt cyls sweat a little from the seals, and the two power steering cylinders leak enough to leave a drop or two on the ground when the machine has sat for a day. On a cold day, you can hear cavitation from the pump at idle until it warms up. I let it warm up for about 20 minutes at slightly increasing throttle during that time, keeping the engine speed just under the cavitation threshold. Also, on below-freezing days the power steering and brakes will not work at all until the engine has either run at idle enough to warm the fluid, or is revved up really high after startup - then something seems to unstick and they work normally. But that type of revving on a cold machine is abusive to the entire machine and not something I want to see happen. Finally, the other day I let it run for about an hour at half throttle while I was doing other things, and came back to see that it had puked some fluid out of the tank breather in that time (fluid was in the normal range on the tank sight glass prior to this). The fluid was milky colored and I wonder if it might have gotten to 212 degrees and the water in the system started boiling. I have no idea what fluid might be in the system currently.

Anyway, the manual states the following for the hydraulic system, verbatim: "10 wt (SAE) FC or SD." What am I going to want to use for fluid in this? I can get JD Low Viscosity Hy-Gard locally, and another supplier has Chevron Ursa SAE 10W Hydraulic Oil available at a slightly higher ($72/5 gals) price.

Secondly, the transmission. This machine uses a Funk model 4000 short-drop transmission - it's a 3-speed powershift with torque converter. I know that Funk made many of JD's powershift transmissions, but that's about all I know about them. As far as I can tell, the transmission works fine. I have a new spin-on filter for it, and from a slight drip at the drain plug I can see that the current fluid is red, but that's all I can tell.

The manual says the trans should use the following: "Special Purpose Type C-2 or C-3 oil or equivalent." I have no idea what that type of oil is. Anyone been around long enough to remember this spec and what it equates to nowadays?

Thank you all so much for your help. I know these may be oddball questions, but Roanoke Hustler has been out of business for decades and there's no way to get an answer from them on updated fluid requirements.

The "low vis" will work fine in your system, you can take your trans spec into the Deere dealer and they should be able to cross it into an correct fluid.

Originally Posted By: CT8
The forklift is not obsolete if it works for you.

True, within that context. However, if you look up something like, "Roanoke Hustler forklift" on ebay, or talk to a few local forklift dealers in search of parts, you'll find that the parts supply is long gone and that the brand itself has all but disappeared from memory and record.

I believe that a title line should as accurately describe the subject as possible, thus preventing people from wasting their time with the subject who are just, in this instance, going to suggest calling the manufacturer for updated specs. In that regard, the forklift is obsolete and those people understood that their advice wouldn't apply. It seems I inadvertently also created a situation where you felt like you needed to enter the thread to discuss semantics. That was not my intent.

Thank you for the other helpful replies. I was a little surprised to hear that ISO 32 should be used when an SAE 10W is spec'd...I've seen multiple references to their viscosities being similar, but other people being advised elsewhere not to use the two interchangeably because of how they deal with water emulsion differently.

Originally Posted By: jbi

It seems I inadvertently also created a situation where you felt like you needed to enter the thread to discuss semantics. That was not my intent.
I am sorry to offend you self appointed importance . It is no more than a compliment of the Roanoake , many parts can be cross referenced

It seems I inadvertently also created a situation where you felt like you needed to enter the thread to discuss semantics. That was not my intent.
I am sorry to offend you self appointed importance . It is no more than a compliment of the Roanoake , many parts can be cross referenced

My apologies, then. Your single sentence reply, which conveyed no helpful information for my question, taken in combination with your signature line, made it appear that you were the self-appointed grammar policeman on the site. All sites seem to have one, and I was doing my best to steer clear of misunderstandings by being specific in the information presented, both in the title bar and in the post itself.

My apologies, then. Your single reply, which conveyed no helpful information for my question, taken in combination with your signature line, made it appear that you were the self-appointed grammar policeman on the site. All sites seem to have one, and I was doing my best to steer clear of misunderstandings by being specific in the information presented, both in the title bar and in the post itself.
Apology accepted.I worked 23 years at a major forklift dealership. I love working on new forklifts, the work was simple but I respected the old one that did their jobs. An older lift that gets the job done has great value. The 24/7 operations need new forklifts. A Chinese waiter [this was in the early 1970's] in San Francisco wanted the order, precise concise and exact. It has always stuck in my mind. Grammar police? Nope Even I make mistakes!
grin.gif
This is the man LINK.

Last edited:
If your hydraulic fluid is milky, it probably has high water contamination. High water contamination could explain your sticking steering and brakes as it is causing corrosion on valves, etc. It can also explain your cavitation problem, as I believe contaminated hydraulic fluid also has a much high pressure of cavitation (pressure where a gas can come out of solution). Just by changing the fluid you may solve both issues!
I would also be cautious about watching to make sure water isn't getting back into the system.

I also might consider switching to a ISO 46 oil if your system gets up to 212 degrees. I can almost promise you that you were below the minimum viscosity requirements for many of the hydraulic components with the low vis oil and that high of a temperature. You may have other problems also. It seems very odd to me that a hydraulic system sitting at mid-idle doing no work would build up that much heat unless there was a problem. perhaps a load sense valve is sticking causing flow over a relief valve or something? Just seems odd to me.

For the C2, C3 fluid any MERCON DEXRON will work.
For the hydraulics, if the oil is milky it should be well drained and flushed with SAE 10W motor oil and than filled with any DEXRON MERCON fluid.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
If your hydraulic fluid is milky, it probably has high water contamination. High water contamination could explain your sticking steering and brakes as it is causing corrosion on valves, etc. It can also explain your cavitation problem, as I believe contaminated hydraulic fluid also has a much high pressure of cavitation (pressure where a gas can come out of solution). Just by changing the fluid you may solve both issues!
I would also be cautious about watching to make sure water isn't getting back into the system.

+1

Quote:
I also might consider switching to a ISO 46 oil if your system gets up to 212 degrees.

Aren't sure if this would work ..

Quote:
I can almost promise you that you were below the minimum viscosity requirements for many of the hydraulic components with the low vis oil and that high of a temperature. You may have other problems also. It seems very odd to me that a hydraulic system sitting at mid-idle doing no work would build up that much heat unless there was a problem. perhaps a load sense valve is sticking causing flow over a relief valve or something? Just seems odd to me.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back