OBD tool

any do's and don'ts?

I am thinking of getting one for the car (OBD2) not fussy about hanheld or smartphone dongle type.
Am I right in thinking there are 2 options: reader and scanner. The latter being more expensive.

Which functions should I look out for. I would need test & diag of the fueling & emission control systems as a minimum

thanks

I think one with some live data capability is smart if you’re going to do any real diagnosis.

Those data were helpful in me understanding my AT “searching” issue.

Some scanners and dongles read specialty codes. This can be helpful,especially for euro vehicles. Some handheld units can be programmed with similar functionality.

What is your price range?

I have the Performance Tool model W2977 that I use. It’s great got it at Northern Tool for $19.99 when I worked at the dealership the big scan tools were provided so I just used those. Now I just use the little one and it works great. I’ve never done the Bluetooth thing I don’t even know how to use a Bluetooth so I have no experience with those.

What vehicles do you have?

There are Bluetooth dongles for your phone as well as the handheld units which vary from basic reading of codes and reset capability. Some others also check ABS codes.

With the Bluetooth you'll probably need to pay for the software to get the full unlocked functions. I haven't explored this area, bought the dongle and tried some free software and wasn't excited about it. I already have the portable hand held scanners so I really don't care about these dongles.

Then there are the higher end units for reading all speciality codes for German vehicles etc.

Others will chime in with what to look for.

OBDLink MX would be a fairly safe and well rounded option, and it has wide device compatibility (Android, iOS, Windows)

Between the included OBDLink app and Torque Pro, you should be well covered for nearly anything 96+

What's the main brand or group of vehicles you'll be using it on?

An inexpensive, yet very powerful combination of Bluetooth OBDII dongle and app is a Veepeak Bluetooth dongle from Amazon and the Torque Pro app.

I have a toyota rav4.2 petrol 2003. It has an OBD (I assume 2) port.

handhelds like Autel get a good review in this country but I also like to explore the IOS app + dongle options

thanks very much guys. A very useful collection of information.(y)
I have now leaning towards App+ adaptor solution as you mostly mentioned.
Had a very helpfull product support email correspondance with OBD fusion.
I will go for their app + carista adaptor.
Their app also runs on veepeak and OBDlink MX+ both of which also have their own dedicated app.
I am not sure if veepeak includes the entended diag for toyota as OBD fusion has.
OBDlink MX+ is excelleten and works across all three platforms but very expensive and the app only works with their adapter

You'd get more bank for your buck with some sort of bluetooth dongle, since you won't be buying a screen and controls redundantly.

There are also more opportunities for software upgrades, even open-source ones, with existing dongles. My 2nd gen Prius was extremely well supported with fan-based additions to the basic Torque Pro app.

You'd get more bank for your buck with some sort of bluetooth dongle, since you won't be buying a screen and controls redundantly.

There are also more opportunities for software upgrades, even open-source ones, with existing dongles. My 2nd gen Prius was extremely well supported with fan-based additions to the basic Torque Pro app.
I would get the $20 one you use with a smart phone app. If you need more capability then move onto something more expensive.

I have the $20 one in my truck all the time. And two others that require my laptop stay at home.

Well, I thought so too and chose "blue driver" Bluetooth dongle. It's list price is $120, but an instant coupon makes it $100. Just for dongle. App is free. It won't show my live data for ABS subsystem. Need a $300+ msrp device for that, apparently

Are you writing with BT? I'm terrified of a connectivity hiccup and consequently bricking an ECM/BCM/whatever

I know the odds are very low but the stakes are very high.

Back