O2 sensor question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I had a code reader hooked in to my Buick century and it said I needed a bank 1 upper o2 sensor. Ok, I tell a friend of mine who did a lot of work in the automotive world and he said it was a huge waste of money, a gimmick. He said all I had to do was clean the throttle body with a tooth brush and carb cleaner and then do a burn out to saturate the sensor with rich fuel which in turn will burn and "clean" the sensor itself. How true is this? Lol.

I really want to tell him that it doesn't make sense but I feel like it will only feed his ego. At best it seems like a bandaid fix.

Your buddy may have been successful by doing this but for the most part, I don't believe this works. I have tried cleaning O2 sensors/AF sensors(removing them and cleaning them) and I have never been successful.

If your BUICK needs a sensor, put in a sensor.

Sounds like your buddy got lucky once(and I am being kind)!

They cost like $30. I would just replace it.

Not a bad idea to clean the throttle body while you're at it.

Personally, when I do an O2 sensor job, I replace all of them that are on the car. I've never had an issue with this either. I use Bosch for everything except Toyotas, where I used Denso.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
They cost like $30. I would just replace it.

Not a bad idea to clean the throttle body while you're at it.

$31.29 for a Denso off RockAuto! I replaced that very o2 sensor on my 03 century just a few weeks ago.

Sorry but your friend is mistaken. The last thing you want going to the cat is unburnt hydrocarbons in any significant amount, replace the sensor.

Back when I had my 1994 Ford Probe...I had the oxygen sensor throw a code one day. I was just out of college, not making a lot of money, and I think that the replacement sensor was rather costly. One of the forums I subscribed to (not BITOG, yet...) suggested a test with a voltmeter and a propane torch. When in the flame, it should have one reading, outside the flame, something different. I don't recall which. When I first put the torch to it...it didn't work like it was supposed to. I tried it a couple of times...and the silly thing started to work. I heated it nearly red hot with the torch...and it was working fine. Put it back in the car...the code went away...and I got another 10 or 20 thousand miles out of it before I had to replace it for real. Not quite sure what the torch did to it...

Nowadays with sensors being a lot less expensive...I'd just replace it and not fool around with it...

thanks,
ben

If the heater is bad, that is impossible to "clean up".

You're losing a few mpg with this. A new sensor will be worth it with gas savings.

Yeah as of this posting, I have already ordered the sensor from rock auto actually. I'm not one to try and work harder to fix an issue with a bandaid when I know it's inevitable to have to replace anyway. I'm not sure exactly what the actual code was but I do know it was only one code that came back as bank 1 upstream sensor. I feel like my friend is trying to help but his old school methods just don't do it for me on a 40 dollar problem lol

Good luck Navy Vet. Hope that you get it swapped out quickly.

I'm amazed at the price differences on O2 sensors by application. They all seem very similar except for type of electrical connector. Maybe by make/model demand?

I only replaced O2 sensors on one vehicle, some years a go. An '01 Altima. I was told that the code was almost certainly the primary ( upstream) cat. Yes, Pa. had Calif. emissions starting in 2001. Put in either Nippon-denso's or Bosch, upstream and downstream. Code cleared. Fuel mileage picked up a bit. That was at about 110k mi. My stepson is still running that car today at 200k without a repeat problem.

Thank you sir. I hope to clear this code after putting the sensor in and having the same relief that you did.

Originally Posted By: NavyVet88
Thank you sir. I hope to clear this code after putting the sensor in and having the same relief that you did.

AT 192k, I'd replace both upstream sensors, if there is more than one. I think you may see a mpg improvement as well.

An aircraft mechanic friend of mine said he successfully rejuvenated an O2 sensor in the bead blasting cabinet. I've never tried it myself, though.

It doesn't work trust me, anything like that trying to clean them is just pizzin in the wind. I read a post one time (not here) from a guy claiming he had success cleaning them with silicone spray. LOL

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: NavyVet88

AT 192k, I'd replace both upstream sensors, if there is more than one. I think you may see a mpg improvement as well.

The motor was swapped for one that has 70k on it. At least that's what the company I bought the motor from told me

Last edited:
Generally when you swap in a used engine, it won't come with manifolds and sensors. You would still be using the original ones on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back