NPR: 'Carolina Squat' vehicles are now illegal on North Carolina roads

wemay

Site Donor 2023
NPR: 'Carolina Squat' vehicles are now illegal on North Carolina roads.

The law was passed after an online petition to outlaw the Carolina Squat in North Carolina drew tens of thousands of signatures last year, with supporters noting the challenges it poses to other drivers.

"These trucks blind people with their headlights pointed to the sky," the petition stated. Critics also say the sharply raised bumper reduces visibility and poses a dangerous threat if the squatted truck hits another vehicle, such as a standard passenger car.

Screenshot_20211204-091739_Google News.jpg

Finally now the rest of the 49 states need to follow.

Then they can just get an airbag and if the cops spot them they turn it on.... nothing will change

Next up ban all the lightbars.. SO many idiots drive around with them on like its a headlight.
Great offroad.. but many eyeballs would thank them for onroad use ban enforcement.

I have never understood this "mod".
For me, a mod should serve a purpose to improve some aspect of the vehicle while minimally affecting the general purpose of the vehicle, even if just looks.
With this, you take a truck that can no longer be used as a truck (not that most that have a truck use them as trucks anyway).

Now if it is a vehicle for show and not driven on road, then find, do whatever you want, It is not my money.
When it starts to affect other drivers (as one gets older, poorly aimed headlights become more of a problem) and as also mentioned, the crash rating for both the vehicle and whatever/whoever they hit is very poor, it starts to be a major issue.

There have to be applicable laws already on the books that make this illegal, just not enforced. Headlight aim, tint, tires outside wheel wells too far etc. , it's not like you (and LEOs) can't see one of these on the road. IMO Arizona is far too lax on what's allowed on the roads, wish they'd tighten it up.

There have to be applicable laws already on the books that make this illegal, just not enforced. Headlight aim, tint, tires outside wheel wells too far etc. , it's not like you (and LEOs) can't see one of these on the road. IMO Arizona is far too lax on what's allowed on the roads, wish they'd tighten it up.

I've been saying the same thing for years. Seems more and more laws don't get enforced, and more stupidity makes it's way into the auto world with every new generation of driver.

Next up ban all the lightbars.. SO many idiots drive around with them on like its a headlight.
Great offroad..
In most places there is already a law that such off-road lights must be covered by an opaque cover while on road. It is almost never enforced.

i wanted it banned simply because it was mega cringe. Now an even lifted truck that's level yeah it's fine because you can still see well and it doesn't look horrible.

I have enough of a hard time seeing out of my escalade's huge dashboard and front end while completely stock now imagine if i were to slam the back and jack up the front. I'd be driving blind.

This is the real problem. Virginia prohibited lifting trucks past a certain height in the late 1980s because the raised trucks were demolishing cars in accidents. Now lifted trucks are back and no one is enforcing the old law. A number of jacked pickups have headlights right at my eye level when I'm driving my CX-5. On a twisty rural road at night, that's dangerous.

Now an even lifted truck that's level yeah it's fine because you can still see well and it doesn't look horrible.

I was thinking on this the other night as I had a lifted truck grinding on my bumper while I was doing 50 in a 45 on a moderately busy road...

This particular truck was level(more or less), but when their lights weren't shining right in my mirrors I was thinking about how well their front differential and my rear window would get along...and yes I was in my MKZ, which isn't exactly a compact car.

This is long overdue but will it be enforced ? That’s the bigger question and we will have to wait for that answer.

In the meantime this is a ridiculous way to modify a truck. Not only does it reduce the visibility of the driver but presents a hazard to other drivers too. It also makes the truck useless for carrying anything.

Back in the 70’s there was a uproar when people started mounting lights above the cab. Remember the KC Highlighters? It was illegal to shine them on roads. Law enforcement was pretty good about that. For the most part it was for show. It seemed like every other Toyota or Datsun pickup had those along with the roll bar. That is where the misinformation about fog lights started. Fog lights are meant to illuminate the pavement and in particular the fog line on the side. Mounting “fog lights” on a roll bar accomplishes nothing but blinding everyone else.

It is illegal in NC before this law was passed. Just that LE for the most part wasn't enforcing it. I know of one State Trooper that did along with the super loud exhaust that the same crowd liked to run.

It will be interesting to see if they enforce this new law. Also around here red light running is really bad. You have to wait a few seconds before you go on a green or you might get nailed.

Kids will always find a way to piss off their parents. This is idiotic legislation that did not need written and it could have been enforced with the preexisting law.

I'm calling it - next will be called the Carolina lean, where you lower one side of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Everyone championing this garbage as some "win" is part of the problem - you wanted a law written because "them scary teens" were acting "unsafe." I personally feel that it's a waste of lawmakers time.

Meanwhile my state is gerrymandered to hell and back, there's gen x in our water, and we have some of the worst labor laws in the country.

In the case of an accident, un-leash the criminal lawyers. Owners of such vehicles have now become lawyer bait. They’ll be losing a lot more than just their vehicles.

That's assuming the owner of the "carolina squatter" has decent insurance or assets. My guess is at best they're riding around on state minimum in a truck that they owe as much on as it's worth and financing the rims and other stupid modifications they did to it.

Everyone championing this garbage as some "win" is part of the problem - you wanted a law written because "them scary teens" were acting "unsafe." I personally feel that it's a waste of lawmakers time.

Meanwhile my state is gerrymandered to hell and back, there's gen x in our water, and we have some of the worst labor laws in the country.
I agree with you on a lot of topics, but not this one. The bumper on one of these squatted trucks would almost clear the roof of a saturn. It would kill who ever is in it if a rear end collision occurred. The bumpers would do nothing. The truck would go right over and on top of the car. Same for any miata, or short car.

I agree with you on a lot of topics, but not this one. The bumper on one of these squatted trucks would almost clear the roof of a saturn. It would kill who ever is in it if a rear end collision occurred. The bumpers would do nothing. The truck would go right over and on top of the car. Same for any miata, or short car.
So why aren't massively lifted trucks banned as well? They're at least as common as the squatted ones. Heck, NC just allowed UTVs to be plated and driven on public roads. So much for safety.

Try to sell it however you want. It was the "look" that was banned.

Back