Now whats wrong with it?.,,,

A few weeks ago my weed wacker quit running . It was running fine, just stopped. I filled it up with gas ,still wouldn't start. I pulled the plug, it was dry and didn't appear fouled or wet. After playing around with adjustments, it started and would run fine for the next few weeks. Today, I was out doing my thing and it was running fine, then it quit and wouldn't start again. Again I yanked the plug and sandpapered it off, didn't look bad, I pushed the primer bulb several times and appeared to be pushing fuel into the carb as it was coming out the return hose back into the tank. I disassemble the kill button to see it if somehow went bad, couldn't find a problem there. I could test for spark with any certainty as everything would jump around the bench when I pulled the rope. So, Anyone have any other things to try before it goes in the trash. BTW, it's a 2013 craftsman wacker.,,,

pull the air cleaner off and spray some B-12 carb cleaner in the intake. You are suppose to do it running. Worse case remove the carb and soak it in some B-12 carb cleaner, or remove the fuel lines and spray it into the carb that way if it won't run.

If that doesn't work then maybe a new Amazon carb (Chinacarb) will help. The last Amazon carb I bought didn't have any adjustments for my LT150 w/ a Kohler engine. When I installed it the engine ran terrible and way too fast. I had to rebuild the old one.

Just my $0.02

Reactions: JC1
I would try a new plug. Just because the old one looks good and dry, they can fool you.

A few weeks ago my weed wacker quit running . It was running fine, just stopped. After playing around with adjustments, it started and would run fine
Sounds like your adjustment screw keeps backing out. Try some loctite on the screw

I would try a new plug. Just because the old one looks good and dry, they can fool you.
When I pulled it out to clean it, I checked it for continuity of the center electrode. It looked good, and was not grounded to the threaded section. I know a plug that's broken internally won't fire, but this one seems good. I cleaned the carb out in spring, and it worked for a while. Gas is less then 2 month's old and runs fine in my other ope. I'm wondering if the ignition system might have fried?.,,

those resistor plugs, they can sign off after too much heating. Had a McCulloch saw, it was problematic starting hot so I kept it
idling while refueling. It went well for 40 minutes then shattered the resistor inside the plug. New brand-name plug fixed it right.

Make sure you look at the fuel line inside the tank. I had one crack and when the filter was near the fill it ran fine but if it moved to the back the crack opened and it sucked air. Found by accident thinking the filter was plugged.

Air fuel and spark. To check spark I have a 36 inch piece of 12 gauge stranded wire with jumper cable clamps on each end that holds the plug end and the cylinder with the other which allows the plug to held while pulling the rope to check for spark.

A few weeks ago my weed wacker quit running . It was running fine, just stopped. I filled it up with gas ,still wouldn't start. I pulled the plug, it was dry and didn't appear fouled or wet. After playing around with adjustments, it started and would run fine for the next few weeks. Today, I was out doing my thing and it was running fine, then it quit and wouldn't start again. Again I yanked the plug and sandpapered it off, didn't look bad, I pushed the primer bulb several times and appeared to be pushing fuel into the carb as it was coming out the return hose back into the tank. I disassemble the kill button to see it if somehow went bad, couldn't find a problem there. I could test for spark with any certainty as everything would jump around the bench when I pulled the rope. So, Anyone have any other things to try before it goes in the trash. BTW, it's a 2013 craftsman wacker.,,,
Get one of these to test the plug...about $4 at HF or $8 at autozone. Or just spend $2 on a new plug...

Screenshot_20210723-133402_Opera.jpg

Well here's the latest update. No joy in mudville. I've replaced the spark plug gaped to .025. Removed and blew out the carb, which looked like brand new. Replaced the gas with new gas, and still it wouldn't even try to start. I tested it for spark and it seemed to have it, so I gave it a try, nothing. At this point I'm wondering if the ignition has / was going out intermittently, then finally quit. I'm getting tired of playing with it at this point. Looks like a new one is in my future.,,

As you stated the plug is dry. You likely need a new carb as the diaphrams which pump the fuel in have hardened up and not getting the fuel into the cylinder. You got some temporary improvement by adjusting the carb as you probably were richening up the fuel mix. Also faulty fuel lines will leak some and fuel cannot be delivered as it should into the carb. If it was an ignition problem, your plug would be wet with fuel. Try squirting some starting fluid, It will sputter and try to run briefly if you have a fuel issue. Try to diagnose the issue before just quessing part replacement. Your Craftsman can be worth fixing only if you nail it and get the correct part replaced the first time without ordering everything.

Last edited:
As you stated the plug is dry. You likely need a new carb as the diaphrams which pump the fuel in have hardened up and not getting the fuel into the cylinder. You got some temporary improvement by adjusting the carb as you probably were richening up the fuel mix. Also faulty fuel lines will leak some and fuel cannot be delivered as it should into the carb. If it was an ignition problem, your plug would be wet with fuel. Try squirting some starting fluid, It will sputter and try to run briefly if you have a fuel issue. Try to diagnose the issue before just quessing part replacement. Your Craftsman can be worth fixing only if you nail it and get the correct part replaced the first time without ordering everything.

agree with Lubener. Sounds like a fuel problem. See if you can spray starting fluid in the carb and pull it over. If it barks or runs for a brief moment then it is fuel related.

Just my $0.02

Instead of starting fluid which doesn't lubricate, try dripping a little 2-cycle mix gas down the spark plug hole and see if it pops over. If it does, you know it's fuel related.

Don't neglect to check the fuel lines, too. They can rot or crack and pull air instead of fuel. Also, pull the muffler and look inside the cylinder to check for damage on the piston.

Instead of starting fluid which doesn't lubricate, try dripping a little 2-cycle mix gas down the spark plug hole and see if it pops over. If it does, you know it's fuel related.

Don't neglect to check the fuel lines, too. They can rot or crack and pull air instead of fuel. Also, pull the muffler and look inside the cylinder to check for damage on the piston.
I have done it many times and won't hurt a thing. It won't run long or fast enough to hurt anything. Some starting fluids do say they contain lubricant.

Back