Now i'm lost on filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
WOW ! ALOT of various oil filters all over the site.
I've been using fram but now after reading many comments it's not that great of a filter.
Pleats,cardboard etc. What do the "better" filter use to filter the oil if not cardboard?
Thinking about wix,pureones,bosch but...man....all the talk about exploding/falling apart filters makes me really wonder what is better to use.
2005 3.4 v/6 impala,stop and go driving often.
It can all get very confusing and sometimes makes me upset at all the poor filters out there like i guess i use for now.
I really don't want a filter blowing up/falling apart on me.
Oil changed 3,000 miles or so 'cause i want to.

Wix makes napa proselct/gold and carquest. Purolator classic and pure ones are also excellent. these have metal end caps and soild construction. yes-fram isnt too good. avoid walmart superteck and STP too

If you're doing 3k OCI then any filter is okay. If you do 8-10k OCI or longer then a filter better then Fram Extra Guard filter is needed.

personally i like the wix/napa gold the best, i have issues with the p1 and bosch causing start up knock in my application.

I usually get what's easiest to find.

I'm not impressed by purolators anti-drain back valve. The pureone is silicone, so it maybe diffrent.

If your just going to replace it every 3k miles that it really doesn't matter much what you use, however i recommend napa/carquest/wix for what your doing.

The purolator pureone is overkill imo. The bosh is too.

Avoid the acDelco's with the plastic cage center. Most of the time there are older models for the same price with the classic design.

Last edited:
The major complaint with Fram filters are the cardboard endcaps. As far as I can recall, I have not seen evidence of a Fram orange can filter fail. I have experienced a Purolator filter crushing from not being made to the correct size for a cartridge filter application. There are posted pics of filters with seams that have split and holes in the filter material - none of them have been Frams.

Stay away from Fram Orange cans! First time I used a Fram Orange can.....Failed ADBV caused oil pressure warning to come on!!!!! ~

Fram orange cans are a poor value and have less construction than most others major brands of oil filters and not only that they tend to be the most expensive too!

I used Purolator Classics for decades now and NEVER had a single problem.

Last edited:
Go with the filter that is on sale with the oil you like to buy. If you don't go that route any filter will work for 3K. Have you ever had a problem with a FRAM??? Just because people on this sit don't like them doesn't mean you need to change. Get what you have in your budget if you change 'em out at 3k it really does not matter. Puro Classic is right up your alley.

Keep in mind you can get a more expensive filter like a M1EP/K&N, Bosch D+, Fram XTended Guard and use it for multiple changes (3 3k changes all day).

The Purolator Classic....perfect for 3K OCI's. Hope your not using a synthetic....it would be a waste of time, $$$, and resources.

Note: Check www.pureoil.com. ....for a good rebate on the Puro Classic.
____________________________________________-
03' Ford Focus (2.3L Duratec PZEV / 98,700
PP 5w20 / Purolator PureOne / OCI: 8,000 +/-

RE:Fram. Notice how the higher level Fram filters have a 3X, 5X, or 6X on the filter carton. These are shown in their TV ad's as well. That means the upper level filters are 3X, 5X, or 6X (times) better than their own best selling oil filters. Those are the type filters most people buy at the retail stores or are used by the fast lube shops and the big box stores that offer oil changes while you shop. I have made my daughter pay for a better brand filter when she gets her oil and filter changed at Walmart. You would not believe the hassel and run-around we get when we demand the upgraded oil filter. I have gone to their filter shelf and brought back a suitable filter and put it in the counterman's hand. She has paid the extra fee for a better filter (Whopping $1.39 more!) and they still install the Fram orange filter. BTW the Fram version they use at the Walmart lube shop are not the same type they sell on their shelf. It is a 'bulk version' of a oil filter. Please stay away from Fram oil filters if you want your car or truck to last.

+1 Purolator Classic is a great filter, with great oil flow. IMO....Good for up to 10K miles. Pure 1 is overkill in most applications of under 10K miles.

Originally Posted By: LT4 Vette
I get 1 year on oversized Purolator classic filters, any less time or miles would be a waste of money.

Originally Posted By: Jim Spahr
BTW the Fram version they use at the Walmart lube shop are not the same type they sell on their shelf. It is a 'bulk version' of a oil filter. filters if you want your car

Actually, I have cut open and compared Walmart TLE Frams to the shelf versions. They were identical in every detail, for better or worse...
To be honest, in the 30+ years that I've been changing my oil using various filter makers, including Fram, I've never had a filter failure.

ymmv, of course

Why is it that everyone forgets that Hastings and Baldwin exist. It's a nice USA made filter that can be had at a very good price. I think their QC is tighter than Wix.

Well boyzzzz,i'm using the fram extra guard orange can.Me tinks i will look for the others like purolator classic,napa's wix.
Now see..i was one to think that napa had only basic style of filters but i was wrong i see.
Normally i use either 10w-40 or 5w-30 in my impala.
Normally castrol or quaker state oil if i can get it at a good price but...everything has gone up so a good price means nadda now i guess.
Right now i have shell 5w-30 in it,was on a GREAT sale at menards a few weeks ago.
I will tell ya's..i'm NOT and never have been a fan of anything valvoline.

Nothing wrong with Valvoline! But if you like picking up your oil on sale at Menards, you should see if they have Quaker State oil filter's in your application. They're Purolator-made and one [censored] of a value.

Originally Posted By: WMSmotorhead
Why is it that everyone forgets that Hastings and Baldwin exist. It's a nice USA made filter that can be had at a very good price. I think their QC is tighter than Wix.

Nothing wrong with them very good filters i use them just hard to find a distributor for OTC unlike WIX,NG,P1

I wouldn't worry, not likely anything wrong will happen. The vast majority of car owners have no filter problems and don't worry. I would use whatever ACdelco recommends for the car, as I tend to like seeing the makers filter on there. With your regimen, which is great, it is unlikely you will have oil related problems on that engine.

I gave bad advice, seeing your vehicle can use an ecore type PF47E. They are likely fine , but there is controversy on the media breaking through the center cage. Probably relief valve related imo. The PF47 is the old style. In any case use one of the filers the others recommend, actually there aren't so many makers left as names, so most will do fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back