Nov 11, Veterans Day

PS, My Dad brought back a 7.7 Japanese rifle, from Guam, I still have it.................

• Wow
Reactions: Pew
My Dad brought back a 7.7 Japanese rifle, from Guam,
My father brought back a pair of Wehrmacht Luger pistols from the war. I remember seeing them several times, in a velvet lined wood box. Pearl handles and matching serial numbers. Each had the swastika on the handle. When he passed away his sister snatched them up. Imagine some collector has them now.

BTW, happy vets day to those that served. Hand salute!

My father served in WW2 in the Pacific theater. He never talked about it. My grandfather served in WW1 in Europe. He never talked about it. The only one that ever talked about it was a guy that my mother knew that served in WW2 in Europe with Bill Blass. He told me that he got hit with a chemical warfare agent and he's had symptoms ever since. The world was a tough place back then. We are grateful for their triumphs.

In Flanders Fields​

BY JOHN MCCRAE

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
  • Related

1699663151289-png.187810

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge Some of the our neighborhood Dads fought here and some in the South Pacific,,,thats about all I know ......they never talked about the bad stuff...
My grandfather served in Vietnam and Korea. I only found out recently that he actually served at the very end of ww2. He lied about his age and from my grandmothers account the officers shrugged and said welcome aboard or something to that effect. Apparently his dislike of snakes stems from Vietnam when Vietnamese military would put snakes in pits and cover them with branches. Apparently a guy in my grandfather's regiment fell into a hole with a cobra.

My dad was a Korean War Veteran. I didn't know until I was a teenager. He never talked about it other than acknowledging he served at Uncle Sam's involuntary invite.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Bulge Some of the our neighborhood Dads fought here and some in the South Pacific,,,thats about all I know ......they never talked about the bad stuff...
My father was there. 101st Airborne. He didn't talk about it much, mostly about his training, but if you watched the Band of Brothers there is a scene there that I remember him talking about when I was a kid. He said he hated the German 88's (artillery) because they would fire into the tops of the trees above the foxholes where the airborne was dug in causing shrapnel and splinters to rain down on top of them. Tree bursts he called them. And he talked about the cold.

That is him driving the Jeep while in France just before The Battle of the Bulge.

Attachments

• Daddy in Jeep WWII.jpg
    Daddy in Jeep WWII.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 7
My father was there. 101st Airborne. He didn't talk about it much, mostly about his training, but if you watched the Band of Brothers there is a scene there that I remember him talking about when I was a kid. He said he hated the German 88's (artillery) because they would fire into the tops of the trees above the foxholes where the airborne was dug in causing shrapnel and splinters to rain down on top of them. Tree bursts he called them. And he talked about the cold.

That is him driving the Jeep while in France just before The Battle of the Bulge.
When I was 8 or 9 I read a Combat comic book about the Battle of the Bulge. When General McAuliffe responded "Nuts!" to the German ultimatum, I assumed the editor had denatured the actual response for a young audience.

In fact, McAuliffe was extraordinarily polite and proper, and had replied with "Nuts". It would not have been in character to use profanity or vulgarity.

Reactions: GON
Back