Nope, not a nail!

Got off work last night only to realize my left rear tire was sitting flat on the Grand Marquis. These are brand new 245/45ZR18 Dunlop SP Sport Maxx 050+ UHP tires with barely 1,500 miles on them, so naturally I was pretty disappointed because they made a heck of a difference over the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3's they replaced.

Got a compressor from motor pool and had no option but to head home after inflating it, since there's a partial lockdown here from 17:00 hrs - 05:00 hrs. I was off duty today, so I pulled the wheel off and saw what I thought was a giant nail with its head broken off. The tire wasn't sitting flat like it did yesterday, but I still didn't want to drive on it.

When they pulled the tire off the wheel to repair it, it turned out to be a long screwdriver bit:

PSX_20210317_083746.jpg

PSX_20210317_154512.jpg

Luckily it was in the center of the tire, and they repaired it with a patch plug, rebalanced the wheel and it's now back in service.

That sucks so much. Hate sloppy people leaving tools around. I get all paranoid if i can't find a nail, etc. Will search for an hour with magnetic tool...
Oh well.

You would think that the sharp end would have gone into the tire instead of the dull end. :rolleyes: 🤷‍♂️
The worst tire repair I have ever done was a spark plug dead center of a tire. Our patch plugs came in assorted sizes. I had to use the largest size (3/8") for the repair.

one of my first jobs was at a tire shop changing tires....you wouldn't believe the stuff that we pulled out of tires

one of my first jobs was at a tire shop changing tires....you wouldn't believe the stuff that we pulled out of tires
Oh yes I would!
My uncle owned a full service gas station and a 1/4 mile up the road, a Uniroyal tire/service store. I worked in both and seen some weird objects in tires. 😲

the local tire shop i use always has the proverbial giant pickle jar on the counter full of Rusty/Grimy objects pulled from tires.
of course with a note taped to the outside about their Road Hazard package....

the local tire shop i use always has the proverbial giant pickle jar on the counter full of Rusty/Grimy objects pulled from tires.
of course with a note taped to the outside about their Road Hazard package....
That's a great incentive to get John Q. Public to buy the road hazard warranty. Anytime I purchase new tires I buy the road hazard warranty. I have seen way too many times when my uncles customers had wished they too would have bought the road hazard warranty.

Back