noise reduction

I would like to do a little noise reduction on my 2021 Cayman. On long drives 200+ miles it is a little tiring. Depending on road surface on coarsely paved roads it is load and at 75+ mph intake noise is a little higher than I would like. I do understand what the car is and could live with it but it would be nice to improve it a bit. I was thinking covering engine cover firewall and (car is mid engine)cargo area. Would dynamat or vehicle insulation closed cell foam or bonded accoustic cotton be what I need. I am providing link for vehicle insulation closed cell foam

Whichever sound deadening material you use would have to be nonflammable and heat resistant if your going to use it in the engine bay (underside of the engine cover).

Actually it would be on top of engine cover. Here is an example
engine cover.jpeg

In doors I used DynaMat and 3M CCF over that (different functions) … both scissors and peel/stick

I would guess the Porsche is lots of fun to drive.
On long drives 200+ miles it is a little tiring.
Kind of mutually exclusive traits. If it's lots of fun to drive, it shouldn't be tiring.

I can just imagining someone else posting, Just bought a new Escalade and it rides like I'm driving a marshmallow. How can I make it corner and feel like I'm driving my Z06?

They're not mutually exclusive or they don't have to be. When the Porsche was designed there were compromises made to keep costs down.

There's nothing stopping you from adding sound deadening to make the car quieter. Just like there's nothing stopping you from adding a turbo to your Escalade.

The Porsche is a perfect highway car until the noise becomes fatiguing. Get rid of the noise and you make the car better.

It's a valid concern. My 996 was extremely comfortable b=ut by the time I hit 1/4 tank fatigue started to sink in from all the noise.

Yes it is a little tiring on long drives. Our 991.1 is fine no matter how long I drive it but the cayman is a little too loud for my taste. I could live with it if I have to but its my car and would like to modify it to fit my needs if possible. Quite honestly earplugs and take a different car wasnt the answer I was looking for. Any other valid product recommendations are welcome

Yes it is a little tiring on long drives. Our 991.1 is fine no matter how long I drive it but the cayman is a little too loud for my taste. I could live with it if I have to but its my car and would like to modify it to fit my needs if possible. Quite honestly earplugs and take a different car wasnt the answer I was looking for. Any other valid product recommendations are welcome
Sound deadening like Dynamat and the patience to disassemble and reassemble the interior is all you need.

Just keep track of how much weight you're adding, if it matters to you.

They're not mutually exclusive or they don't have to be. When the Porsche
was designed there were compromises made to keep costs down.

..... and to keep weight down. There's a reason the Cayman feels different to
a 911. @raaizin:
You need heavy materials. Foam (open or closed cell) won't help. Contrary to
thermal insulation acoustical insulation requires as high as possible masses.
This will add some weight to the car of course, but right above the engine it's
sitting at the car's center, so it won't matter much. I'm not sure if lining the
engine cover is sufficient though. If putting some luggage over there doesn't
help much some insulation probably also won't help enough and perhaps you
will want to insulate the fire wall as well.
Proper car hifi stores sell everything you need. I'd recommend using aluminum
clad butyl foil like this one:

Sonit® Alu/Butyl 1.6 is a lightweight, flexible soft material from a self-adhesive
damping mass based on butyl rubber without reinforcement, laminated with an
aluminium foil (thickness 150 µm). The butyl mass is filled with minerals and set
high thixotropic.

Main function

Airborne sound insulation and sound deadening sheets,
especially of moulded parts

Applications

Car body and vehicle construction, household equipment, ship building, mechanical
engineering, air ducts etc.
The material can be applied to oiled (white corrosion protection oil) surfaces without
prior cleaning and withstands standard degreasing and painting processes.

I very much hope so. 😇 Mmmmh no, for certain.
Some 20 kg/44 lbs properly placed will gain an audible difference.

ps
Ignore the word 'lightweight'. Actually butyl has a rather high specific weight.

I understand the OP's concern. I loved my Nissan 370Z but the noise in the cabin was so obtrusive that it really did make long drives tiring. It was mostly tire noise caused by the grooved freeways, when transitioning from a grooved section to smooth and back again the noise difference was startling. It was so noisy that enjoying some music on a long cruise was difficult and when using the Bluetooth phone it was hard to hear the person on the other end and I had to shout for them to hear me. Even a conversation with a passenger required a loud voice.

The solution seemed to be covering the entire rear hatch area with Dynamat, also under the floor carpeting all the way to the ends of the footwells and also the insides of the doors. A lot of work involved.

For the Cayman, you might try getting something like a yoga mat and cut a piece to fit over the engine cover and see if the noise reduction is appreciable before going to the trouble of installing a stick on product. That may help isolate the area that gets the greatest improvement first.

I understand the OP's concern. I loved my Nissan 370Z but the noise in the cabin was so obtrusive that it really did make long drives tiring. It was mostly tire noise caused by the grooved freeways, when transitioning from a grooved section to smooth and back again the noise difference was startling. It was so noisy that enjoying some music on a long cruise was difficult and when using the Bluetooth phone it was hard to hear the person on the other end and I had to shout for them to hear me. Even a conversation with a passenger required a loud voice.

The solution seemed to be covering the entire rear hatch area with Dynamat, also under the floor carpeting all the way to the ends of the footwells and also the insides of the doors. A lot of work involved.

For the Cayman, you might try getting something like a yoga mat and cut a piece to fit over the engine cover and see if the noise reduction is appreciable before going to the trouble of installing a stick on product. That may help isolate the area that gets the greatest improvement first.

Yoga mat is a fantastic idea. I think I will give it a try thanks for the tip.

Back