Noise canceling earbuds

I work on a printing press that is quite noisy. I wear the yellow EAR ear plugs.
I am considering getting some noise cancelling earbuds, I'm wondering how they compare to the earplugs I'm used to.
The ones I'm considering are the Bose quite comfort 2 or the Pixel buds pro.
Any recommendations?

Bud they tend to cancel naturally most all ambient noise without active noise cancellation since they are in canal and airtight.
So no need for expensive active noise cancellation models in most cases.

look on RTINGS for testing and recommendations

There are every cheap to make, no need to spend a fortune.

my "free" metal LG sound better than any professional over the ear headphone I've used,
they are just a bit heavy, and the Y cord bothers me. Gets in the way when tasking. Then I decided I don't like anything in my ear canal. They need to breathe. Its a health issue, IMO.

I haven't tried wireless bluetooth units.

Know that Most jobs don't not allow earbud when tasking.

- ken

They kind of suck. I have anc galaxy buds pro and akg n400's and have also used the airpods pro but dont own them.

The anc isn't smooth and the hissing noise is annoying. You're better off with shooting earmuffs as i bought one at a garage sale for a buck that is as good as a new pair and i wear them over my Bluetooth earbuds without anc so i get noise canceling but without the bad anc. And it's cheaper because there are many decent pairs of Bluetooth earbuds like the jlabs i got for $10 on black friday as throw around ones and they sound great.

The Pixel Buds Pro ANC is very good, and, there's no hissing. They seem to need readjustment after an hour of wearing or so, unlike passive ear protection like the passive Etymotic Research earplugs. I guess they're heavier and not as conforming a fit.

Also, I agree with ARCOgraphite that the canals need to breath.

Go with Bose, great part is, you can use them for 90 days and return if you are not happy. You cant beat that, you dont even have to pay return shipping.
I have the QC purchased in the last year they are larger then the new QC2 do they work? yes but they will only work as good as the seal around your ear. SO it really depends on the fit to your unique ear and no one in here can tell you that.
The QC2 as I am sure you know have improved in the already well respected noise reduction of the ones I have QC. I dont see how you can go wrong by trying them out.
Keep in mind the ear buds are only going to get rid of deeper low frequencies I dont know what those machines you talk about are but I suspect maybe not that low where ear buds are going to help you, but the only way to know is try them at no cost to you. Really cool.
In my quest for earbuds I have tried and returned no less then 6 or 7 pairs to a number of companies, its never an issue with buds as the companies know, all our ears are different.

Ok, with that said, for Christmas my wife bought me Bose QC 45 ON EAR HEADPHONES and there is NO comparison to earbud noise reduction, WOW, the BOSE QC 45 on ear is stupid dead quiet far superior to earbuds. These are over the ear headphones and I am wondering if you can use over the ear at work, they are absolutely amazing, heck you dont need to even have music. Just switch on the power switch and .... DEAD silence. Im still amazed being I just got them. They are incredibly comfortable and pretty light.
Either way, no cost for your to try anything, very liberal return policy from Bose (90 days) and anything you order mostly from Amazon or Best Buy, Walmart is returnable but cant remember how much time you have.

Last edited:
Go with Bose, great part is, you can use them for 90 days and return if you are not happy. You cant beat that, you dont even have to pay return shipping.
I have the QC purchased in the last year they are larger then the new QC2 do they work? yes but they will only work as good as the seal around your ear. SO it really depends on the fit to your unique ear and no one in here can tell you that.
The QC2 as I am sure you know have improved in the already well respected noise reduction of the ones I have QC. I dont see how you can go wrong by trying them out.
Keep in mind the ear buds are only going to get rid of deeper low frequencies I dont know what those machines you talk about are but I suspect maybe not that low where ear buds are going to help you, but the only way to know is try them at no cost to you. Really cool.
In my quest for earbuds I have tried and returned no less then 6 or 7 pairs to a number of companies, its never an issue with buds as the companies know, all our ears are different.

Ok, with that said, for Christmas my wife bought me Bose QC 45 ON EAR HEADPHONES and there is NO comparison to earbud noise reduction, WOW, the BOSE QC 45 on ear is stupid dead quiet far superior to earbuds. These are over the ear headphones and I am wondering if you can use over the ear at work, they are absolutely amazing, heck you dont need to even have music. Just switch on the power switch and .... DEAD silence. Im still amazed being I just got them. They are incredibly comfortable and pretty light.
Either way, no cost for your to try anything, very liberal return policy from Bose (90 days) and anything you order mostly from Amazon or Best Buy, Walmart is returnable but cant remember how much time you have.

Do the Bose have a switch so you can go from noise cancelling to transparency? That would be beneficial if he has someone trying to talk to him during operation. Outside mics would pick up the conversation.

I know the Apple AirPods Pro have that function. Just squeeze the stem to switch back and forth.

Do the Bose have a switch so you can go from noise cancelling to transparency? That would be beneficial if he has someone trying to talk to him during operation. Outside mics would pick up the conversation.

I know the Apple AirPods Pro have that function. Just squeeze the stem to switch back and forth.
Yes, both the ear buds and over the ear have transparency mode.
I dont use it but on the ear bud you tap the left ear bud to cycle through the modes. Or you can use the app. You can also through the app adjust the level of transparency.
On the over the ear headset you would use the app or simply slide the power switch to off. It's an easy access switch right in the middle right headset.

My wife has the AirPods Pro and they are very effective too. In fact she cant hear me when I talk. (we just tested it *LOL*)
With earbuds though, unlike over the ear headsets, how effective the noise reduction is will be dependent on fit. With earbuds the fit has to be perfect and of course over the ear has a lot more leeway as it jsut has to go over your ear.

I forgot about those, they maybe something the OP wants to try too. They maybe a little more prone to coming loose,. I dont know, I know with my wife they do sometimes. But trying to get her attention right now is impossible while her back is to me. :unsure:
She does say, like most of the ear buds higher frequencies will get through and only when she has them perfectly in her ear does it block out my voice 100%
I think over the ear would be best for the OP IF that was allowed or convenient for him just because placement isnt critical . If not, yeah, Bose QC2, AirPods Pro and Sony WF 1000 XM4 (based on write ups, I have no knowledge of using the Sony) would be worth trying, I am sure between those he would be happy with one of them maybe.
If I was him, I would try all of them and return the ones I dont want for refund.:)

Last edited:
Bad advice here. OP's #1 concern is hearing protection in a loud work environment. Earbuds don't do that and noise cancelling doesn't do that. Do some research. I was involved in workplace safety for lots of years and had this discussion'/argument with workers. Active noise cancellation is always slightly behind the noise as it processes then transmits the opposite frequency. Good for on airplanes or in a crowd or in a car with a consistent noise level but no good for loud sudden changing noises. If work allows it a good muff with an NRR of 32/33 and earbuds inside would probably be ok. Beyond the hearing protection concerns earbuds and headphones can prevent a worker from hearing emergency warnings or hearing a malfunction happening in equipment.

Protect your hearing now and you won't be sorry later. What?

Bad advice here. OP's #1 concern is hearing protection in a loud work environment. Earbuds don't do that and noise cancelling doesn't do that. Do some research. I was involved in workplace safety for lots of years and had this discussion'/argument with workers. Active noise cancellation is always slightly behind the noise as it processes then transmits the opposite frequency. Good for on airplanes or in a crowd or in a car with a consistent noise level but no good for loud sudden changing noises. If work allows it a good muff with an NRR of 32/33 and earbuds inside would probably be ok. Beyond the hearing protection concerns earbuds and headphones can prevent a worker from hearing emergency warnings or hearing a malfunction happening in equipment.

Protect your hearing now and you won't be sorry later. What?
These fancy noise cancelling offerings have become more synonymous with hearing protection in recent years.
This thread is proof of that. OP and many others think these fancy electronic gizmos are what's best to protect their hearing.
When all that's needed in 90% of situations is a decent set of yellow/orange disposable plugs and/or a good ear muff set.

🤷‍♂️

I fly with Audio Technica ANC just watching movies - but not to sleep on long hauls - for that ? Disposable ear plugs - even though they are not rated as high - I find Mack’s silicone to work better than foam plugs …

Is this so you can listen to music while working? Is that allowed, and is it wise? I mean, if you get ambient noise down low enough so that you can then hear your tunes, might you set yourself up for not hearing warning shouts from around you?

I'll try to answer some of the questions posted above. Earplugs are not required by my company, I choose to buy my own and wear them. I am 58 and been a printer since I was 18. I have always worn earplugs. I have worked in places that required hearing protection, but again this company doesn't. They only have two sheetfed presses. Some of my coworkers use earbuds to listen to music in the pressroom.

I don't particularly want to listen to music, that would just be a side benefit. I will not drown out the screams of mangled coworkers. Mostly, I want to hear my phone when it rings, or I receive a text or email.
Reading online reviews and comparisons I narrowed my search to Pixel and Bose.
I just ordered the Bose quitecomfort 2. (Looking at you, Alarmguy :) ) They should arrive next week.

Very cool on the QC2 ... would love to hear feedback after you give them a good try for a while because the day will come one day where I may want to try them out but understand I only had the current Bose original QC earbuds for less than a year so it will be a while before the net pair, my wife already thinks Im nuts and she maybe right. I also have Bose non noise cancelling Sport Buds and a pair of Jaybird Vista 2 earbuds.
Even though the Vista 2 has noise cancelling I did not buy them for that purpose, it's more of an afterthought and not very affective. I bought them at the time for good reviews, fantastic phone app and they are tiny, can actually lay in bed on a pillow. With that said I am finding I no longer use them, got used to the slightly larger Bose Sport buds in bed for what I think is better sound and comfort even though the Jaybirds are very good for sure.
and now with the large Bose original QC earbuds I manage in bed with them for even better sound than the other two. The QC2 is supposed to be another home run by Bose so will be curious because they really cut down the size.
and ...
The full size headset QC 45 as I said, with noise crazy effective is a fun thing, still new to me as a Christmas Present.
Good luck

at least 20DB of isolation. EQ-able in app. A bit pricey at 100 bucks

There are very VERY comprehensive tests to view as you scroll down, there is even a sound
isolation sample.

I do not own them or promote them, just plinking around the web.

RTINGS is one of the best HP rating sites.

Whatever you get, use foam tips if they're comfortable for you. Foam tips work pretty well by themselves to isolate noise and [to me] makes the sound better. Combine foam tips with ANC and you may find another level of silence.

I received the Bose Quitecomfort 2 earbuds Wednesday. I was concerned they would not block sound as well as the 3M EAR classic yellow plugs I have worn my entire working career.

I am amazed! These things block sound better than the classic yellow ear plugs! The sound of blowers and gear train noise are where they shine best, which is what I need around machinery. Loud, sharp popping noise or clicking are reduced also, but not to the extent of the lower frequency sound.

They come with various foam inserts to customize your fit. I tried the larger foam pieces but experienced discomfort after a few hours and went back to the smaller parts.
The sound quality of music is incredible also. I don't listen to anything while at work in order to stay aware of my surroundings however.

The noise cancellation is unbelievable!

I received the Bose Quitecomfort 2 earbuds Wednesday. I was concerned they would not block sound as well as the 3M EAR classic yellow plugs I have worn my entire working career.

I am amazed! These things block sound better than the classic yellow ear plugs! The sound of blowers and gear train noise are where they shine best, which is what I need around machinery. Loud, sharp popping noise or clicking are reduced also, but not to the extent of the lower frequency sound.

They come with various foam inserts to customize your fit. I tried the larger foam pieces but experienced discomfort after a few hours and went back to the smaller parts.
The sound quality of music is incredible also. I don't listen to anything while at work in order to stay aware of my surroundings however.

The noise cancellation is unbelievable!
This is awesome, thanks for following up in here.

In case anyone else comes here looking for bluetooth hearing protection.

I have an older pair of these, but they're good.

Another solid option is to use bone conduction headphones and then use your standard in ear hearing protection.

Back