NOCO GENIUS2 question

I just purchased this charger, and am going through the manual... NOCO states several times in the manual that this 2 amp charger is for "UP TO 40Ah battery capacity". The battery in my Buick is rated 800 CCA. 800 CCA / 7.25 = 110Ah.
The NOCO will be used for maintenance. I know that if the battery is ever badly discharged, a 2 amp charger will take a long time to fully recharge it. But other than that... is it possible that the NOCO2 would not desulfate or maintain a larger battery as well as a NOCO5, or is there some other issue with using a 2 amp charger on a larger battery?

I just purchased this charger, and am going through the manual... NOCO states several times in the manual that this 2 amp charger is for "UP TO 40Ah battery capacity". The battery in my Buick is rated 800 CCA. 800 CCA / 7.25 = 110Ah.
The NOCO will be used for maintenance. I know that if the battery is ever badly discharged, a 2 amp charger will take a long time to fully recharge it. But other than that... is it possible that the NOCO2 would not desulfate or maintain a larger battery as well as a NOCO5, or is there some other issue with using a 2 amp charger on a larger battery?

First, you can’t directly connect CCA to Ah. One is power and one is energy, and because of how a lead acid battery works, the short burst of power that defines CCA doesn’t truly indicate the 8-20 hour discharge energy that defines the Ah. There are some correlations based upon reserve capacity that might be close enough. What group is it? What is the RC?

The issue with the size of the charger is how long it is on. Take a look at the Noco 2A results in my charger test thread. Took over a day to charge up just a tiny group 51 battery. This is because the bulk process is slow if you can’t feed the battery as much as it can reasonably take, and then the rest of the process is logarithmic, so it takes time, in the case of the NoCo, to get the voltage up to the cutoff at repeatedly different and lower current levels. A higher rated charger would notionally have more, higher current intermediate steps thst could walk the battery charge up faster.

Some chargers have timers, they will only do chargign for 18-48 hours. This is a safety, as a battery in bad condition could be run out of water, and lead acid batteries do thermally runaway and burn. It’s nasty.

I like the 1-2A chargers for situations where you have nearly topped up batteries in good health, and you just want to keep them in good shape while not using the vehicles. There’s no way a 1-2A charger could fault and push more current the way a 5-10A (or higher) charger could. Different tools in the tooolbox.

Thankyou for your answer. The Buick battery is a group size 34/78DT. As you stated, I think the NOCO2 should work fine for maintenance, just taking longer to finish the charge.
I also have a BatteryMinder 1510, which uses 'high frequencies' to desulfate a battery. I don't know if the NOCO uses similar technology, or if its' 2 amp size would hinder desultating in any way on a larger battery?

Back