No transfer case drain plug?

I suggest you find a way to change it. We bought a 2013 Honda Crosstour AWD new. I changed the oil in the PTU at the first oil change. It did have a drain plug. The oil came our black and lumpy. Fill it with 75W140 rear end oil. Changed it every 2 or 3 oil changes after that. Always drained out looking new after the first change. Just my experience.

My old Pontiac Bonneville didn't have a drain plug and I really didn't want to pull the axles to remove the carrier. I siphoned what I could out of the fill plug hole. It took all day for it to drain but it worked.

You are correct. There is a traditional rear diff (though it is independent rear suspension).
The transfer case is up front, right behind the engine.
I couldn't agree more; only 12 oz. of fluid can get destroyed pretty quickly.
There's no drain for the rear diff either IIRC...and it may even be sealed on some models.

The PTU design for these, in a word, sucks. Small capacity, no cooling and tucked up between the transmission and exhaust with zero airflow so it gets plenty hot. Add to that the difficulty for drain/fill and it's a recipe for disaster. Lots of these blow up, even when maintained at 30k intervals.

OP, crossed fingers yours will be ok. Might want to get the stoutest 75w-140 you can find for the PTU. (Piece of Trash Unit)

Don't want to be a downer, rather give realistic expectations. We recently got rid of a Ford flex with the same PTU system, at only 52,000 miles after lots of repairs ...

Back