No opportunities? Wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Their are plenty of jobs out their, problem is no one wants to work anymore.

My dad is about ready to retire but he works at a utility. They cannot fill the field crew positions, the average age is 52. None of the kids want to get up early in the morning every day and work. IE not go out and party the night before and come in all hung over. They don't want to dig with a shovel in the trench. Can't fill the jobs.

These are not low paying jobs, starting is $50k plus full benefits, matching 401k etc. Most of the guys in his department with OT pull in $75k-$90k a year.

But nope, my generation is lazy. They rather go party at night, and work some $25k year computer job in a nice office. No one wants to work anymore, they get out of school and think they should all be CEO's right away. Some of the people I used to hang out with are like this. They me off by giving me because I'd head home early because I wanted to be fresh for the morning. They party hard and roll out of bed around 9, I'm up at 6 on weekends and by 9 I have already been working for 2-3 hours. They gave me , but you know what those lazy people. They look pretty and have nice cloths and leased vehicles, I own my truck outright. They rent apartments, I'm building an awesome house for myself which I hope to own outright in a few years, I have a boat that they couldn't dream of affording the slip fee's for. What they don't see is the decade of work and sacrifice I made to get what I have, heck with lazy people.

If your a motivated, intelligent, hard worker you will always have work.

If I was unemployed in this market I would do whatever I had to, to get a job. I know the oil companies are hiring in some remote states, but the pay is good. I'd go work for them, suck it up for a few years, and bank every cent I could. Than try to get a better job.

I like the way the older Americans think, I really hate my generation. My peers want everything to come to them easy, so they can update their facebook profile while they do it. The older generation, especially my grandfathers were what made this country. Their attitude was get up off your and make it work, stop . We need more of that these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what you call the X-Box generation.

Kids want to be in a nice, clean air conditioned office drinking a latte and sitting in a cubicle surfing the internet.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The main problem is jobs are changing in the US and world. People without proper training will find them selves technologically unemployed. Some of the more manual factory work will never come back to the US. Its either automated or is overseas.

That is the biggest problem.

A lot of people would not relocate, would not (or cannot afford to) go back to school to get a real degree that has jobs, would not step down and start from a lower entry point in a different field, or screwed up in the past (with criminal background, poor personal traits) that makes them unemployable.

Then there are also business owners who whine and complain above everything, from government to economy, from inflation to exchange rate, from politics to customers, from fuel price to pollutions, from employees making too much to nobody wants to work for the salary offered, all but their own mistakes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I think you guys are getting bogged down in the details of Pop's price structure - don't forget that he spent a few afternoons writing the code before doing the survey.

You would be surprised how much people (including your federal government) will pay for specific expertise (the code) and specific work (the survey). I wouldn't focus on the hourly rate of walking around graveyards (he didn't include his mileage, or his other business development time, or his research) - I would instead consider how cheaply anyone else could have done it: develop the software, conduct the surveys, archive the records...

The hourly rate doesn't include all the negotiation and hunting for the jobs. Testing and support and all the before and after work.

Like the 80/20 rules, 20% of the work cost 80% of the time, and in software, coding is always the easy part, sometimes only 10% of the real work, and IMO in contracting, 5% when you add in the wasted idle time and "job hunting" required in contractors.

The typical rate in the industry was $200/hr, but you need at least $40-80/hr if it is a stable one. Not sure how much is it now.

And if it was a predetermined priced job, and you make mistakes, you need to fix it for free.

Last edited:
You have to keep in mind that these are local townships, which are not actually a town at all. They are simply the smallest taxing authority in the county and cover the rural areas that are not included in real towns. The pricing is a flat rate for everything, including a year of maintenance updates if needed. The flat rate price makes it easy for them to budget the cost, and they get handed a complete searchable database that can create their deeds for them and has clickable maps. No more than they need, but exactly what they want. In my county alone there are 19 townships, and Iowa has 99 counties, most of which contain a similar number of townships, most of which have the same needs.

None of the cemeteries are in towns or cities-all of them are in rural locations (one is in the middle of a cornfield). Again, this same scenario is present in almost all 99 Iowa counties, as well as in other states.

It simply starts by attending a local meeting, finding out the local needs, and figuring out a way to fulfill those needs.

I pretty much tend to agree. Most kids graduating from college think it's a human right to land a cushy $50k/year office job and live like the Kardashians without having to do any real physical work. Some make it; most aren't willing to actually go where the jobs are.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Their are plenty of jobs out their, problem is no one wants to work anymore.

My dad is about ready to retire but he works at a utility. They cannot fill the field crew positions, the average age is 52. None of the kids want to get up early in the morning every day and work. IE not go out and party the night before and come in all hung over. They don't want to dig with a shovel in the trench. Can't fill the jobs.

These are not low paying jobs, starting is $50k plus full benefits, matching 401k etc. Most of the guys in his department with OT pull in $75k-$90k a year.

But nope, my generation is lazy. They rather go party at night, and work some $25k year computer job in a nice office. No one wants to work anymore, they get out of school and think they should all be CEO's right away. Some of the people I used to hang out with are like this. They me off by giving me [censored] because I'd head home early because I wanted to be fresh for the morning. They party hard and roll out of bed around 9, I'm up at 6 on weekends and by 9 I have already been working for 2-3 hours. They gave me , but you know what those lazy people. They look pretty and have nice cloths and leased vehicles, I own my truck outright. They rent apartments, I'm building an awesome house for myself which I hope to own outright in a few years, I have a boat that they couldn't dream of affording the slip fee's for. What they don't see is the decade of work and sacrifice I made to get what I have, heck with lazy people.

If I was unemployed in this market I would do whatever I had to, to get a job. I know the oil companies are hiring in some remote states, but the pay is good. I'd go work for them, suck it up for a few years, and bank every cent I could. Than try to get a better job.

I like the way the older Americans think, I really hate my generation. My peers want everything to come to them easy, so they can update their facebook profile while they do it. The older generation, especially my grandfathers were what made this country. Their attitude was get up off your [censored] and make it work, stop. We need more of that these days.

YEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!
banana2.gif

I have a step-daughter to show this to.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: volk06
Some people cant think outside of the box.

I would like to expand on that and make some observations. I know of several local people that have a very strong entrepreneurial spirit such as Pop Rivet. They choose not to rest on their laurels. They are constantly building an empire around themselves, growing, expanding, building. Always looking for ways to grow their investments, infrastructure, whatever.

Not everyone is programmed like this. Others prefer to work for someone else and collect a paycheck. Others put their creativity into other avenues that may or may not include building wealth. Examples might be art work, volunteer or humanitarian work, public work, conservation work,and others.

All I am saying is that hard work can be applied in other ways and still be considered successful.

I applaud Pop Rivet's ingenuity, but it is not my calling. I do agree with his outlook that opportunities exist, if one is willing to put the effort into it, one way or another. To me, his message is to be creative to achieve what YOU want, which is different for every individual.

I collect a monthly paycheck and do a tiny bit of "outside" activities to fuel the "extras" (wants, not needs). The results of my career work will benefit generations to come. That, along with just a bit of spiritual grounding and a healthy dose of family and friends is what I cherish.

The End.

P.S. - I agree with the work ethic statements above. It's the one success I am proud to have instilled to my adult kids. And, the comment "instead of plopping in front of a television, get out and do something" is getting old. As a workaholic, whether I spend some leisure time hiking at the lake or watching a good movie on TV is my choice. Geez!

Last edited:

C'mon now... What world are you living in?
There isn't enough to go around.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

C'mon now... What world are you living in?
There isn't enough to go around.

Whatever world you decide to live in, that's the world you live in.

There are tons of places trying to hire right now with no applicants! people are gaming the system and drawing disability, etc., who could be working.

Attitude is a remarkable indicator. Whatever you believe is what you're likely to achieve.

Nothing more disgusting than a low income person buying a bunch of lottery tickets, beer and cigarettes at a convenience store while collecting welfare, disability, WIC,...etc,....

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
None of the kids want to get up early in the morning every day and work. IE not go out and party the night before and come in all hung over. They don't want to dig with a shovel in the trench. Can't fill the jobs.

But nope, my generation is lazy. They rather go party at night, and work some $25k year computer job in a nice office. No one wants to work anymore, they get out of school and think they should all be CEO's right away. Some of the people I used to hang out with are like this. They me off by giving me because I'd head home early because I wanted to be fresh for the morning. They party hard and roll out of bed around 9, I'm up at 6 on weekends and by 9 I have already been working for 2-3 hours. They gave me , but you know what those lazy people. They look pretty and have nice cloths and leased vehicles, I own my truck outright. They rent apartments, I'm building an awesome house for myself which I hope to own outright in a few years, I have a boat that they couldn't dream of affording the slip fee's for. What they don't see is the decade of work and sacrifice I made to get what I have, heck with lazy people.

I like the way the older Americans think, I really hate my generation. My peers want everything to come to them easy, so they can update their facebook profile while they do it. The older generation, especially my grandfathers were what made this country. Their attitude was get up off your and make it work, stop . We need more of that these days.

I have recently entered my 3rd year of employment post college. I have seen plenty of employees come and go over those 3 years. They all had a few qualities in common...they did the least amount of work possible, tried to [censored] there way through everything and would literally take credit for work I did. I will say though that we have hired one or two young guys out of school and they are excellent and hardworking. A lot has to do with how you're brought up IMHO.

I will also note that those whose parents had blue collar jobs, grew up in middle-lower class lifestyle and went on to cheap public colleges and took the burden of the student loans themselves have tended to work much harder than those who have been spoiled, coddled and handed everything to them with a silver spoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back