Nissan (or is it Purolator) 15208 55Y00 filter cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcy

Cut open a Nissan OE filter used on my '92 Maxima with the VG30 motor. Yes, it's used - I just can't bring myself to cut open a perfectly good unused filter.

Observations:

-a fair amount of oil was still in the filter so I'm thinking this indicates a good ADBV (silicone?), especially considering my filter is mounted with the open end down.
-what's with the string on the filter media? I think purolator uses these, yet the filter can says 'made in Japan' on the outside.
-metal endcaps
-small inlet holes
-a good number of holes on the metal inside part of the filter
-without actually measuring, it looks like there's a fair amount of filter media. The pleats are fairly deep too.
-thick canister (there has to be an easier way than using a hacksaw)

Questions:

-can someone tell me what the metal thing in the 4th picture is? I don't think it's a bypass valve, as my car has one mounted on engine filter mount. Is it just to hold the filter assembly in place? If it is a bypass valve, how does it work?
-the Mopar filter is what I'm using on my car now in place of the Nissan OE. I hope it's built as well (it was much cheaper to buy). I notice it has bigger inlet holes than the Nissan, but the gasket doesn't look as well made as the Nissan gasket (the last two pictures are comparing gaskets). The Nissan gasket is flat with a raised rounded ridge all around it, whereas the Mopar is just a big old flat gasket. It has an orange coloured ADBV too, so I hope it's the same material as the Nissan.

Oil filter

How the heck do you post pictures to BITOG?

[ May 06, 2004, 12:18 AM: Message edited by: rcy ]

quote:

can someone tell me what the metal thing in the 4th picture is?

It looks like the spring which is used to hold the filter element against the baseplate and anti drain back valve.

I agree that this filter does not have a bypass valve. It seems like Nissan is following GM standard practice of putting the bypass on the engine side of things rather than inside the filter. As an engineer this makes sense to me. Why make the bypass valve a cheap disposable item when a better one can just be built into the oil filter mount?

John

Yep, the Nissan filter doesn't have a bypass valve since it's mounted on the engine block. Keep in mind that you can use a filter with a bypass (if this matter ever came up) and it would work fine -- you'd simply have redundant bypass loops.

The flat spring simply locates the cartridge within the can, pressing it against the threaded end cap and anti-drainback valve. Orange = silicone (good), while black = nitrile (sufficient). Since you're filter is mounted "hole down" (just like Britney Spears!), proper anti-drainback performance is more important than with some other rides. But I wouldn't worry about this unless you hear extended lifter chatter or ticking during cold starts. (This would suggest a delay in oil circulation, possibly caused by a filter which drained overnight due to an insufficient ADBV.) If the cumulative area of the base plate's intake holes exceeds the area of the engine's intake stud, then by definition, you're fine, and I suspect this is the case. The string helps maintain a circular media shape while the end caps' glue dries. Mopar filters have traditionally been made by Purolator, and you can confirm this by comparing the Mopar filter base plate with whatever Purolator filter that's called for your ride.

[ May 06, 2004, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

Some years ago when a customer insisted I use a genuine Nissan filter in his 300ZX twin turbo I cut open his old filter and the next one - yes one had the string and was typical Purolator,the other was identical inside to the aftermarket Thai filter I was using.Subcontractors make the filters for OE fitting - it's a world market out there.

That Mopar filter looks like it was made by WIX. Looks just like a Castrol/Wix filter I used to use on my Honda tractor (the baseplate).

It was the part # which crosses over to a Fram 3593a.

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by TC:
Yep, the Nissan filter doesn't have a bypass valve since it's mounted on the engine block. Keep in mind that you can use a filter with a bypass (if this matter ever came up) and it would work fine -- you'd simply have redundant bypass loops.

Which NAPA or Mobil 1 oil filter w/bpv fits 3.0 Twin Turbo?

Thanks! Joe

quote:

Originally posted by jorton:

Which NAPA or Mobil 1 oil filter w/bpv fits 3.0 Twin Turbo?
Thanks! Joe
[/QUOTE]

If there is room for a longer filter, the Ford Taurus sized PH3600/51516/M1209 are some to try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back