Nissan NS3 Alternatives That Are the Same Color?

What is weird about it? I just changed it and the filters on a 2012 and it was pretty simple. Found it easier than transmissions with a dipstick. Mine takes NS2 and I used Idemitsu which has a green tint to it.

I like the two plug idea. But I find it a bit odd that the proper fill level is a slight dribble at idle.
Seems like that makes it a bit hard to get the right level. If it was just fill-to-spill with the big plug out, that would be better

My concern with red is if there is a trans problem, the dealer is going to think it had traditional ATF put in.

Or blame it on having regular ATF
Legally don’t they (Nissan) have to prove that the aftermarket fluid you used was the reason for the transmission failure to deny warranty claim on the unit if it fails? I always thought that was a legal requirement. I’d imagine the lion’s share of warranty claims on those CVTs are denied because people never change the fluid.

So if anyone is still following this, it appears there's a user replaceable filter on the driver's side of the transmission. A cartridge filter. I've found the part number and Orings.

Has anyone replaced the filter on this?

The original dye color will fade and the fluid eventually turns a dark color that cannot be differentiated from a used fluid. This is especially true of a blue-green dye. Dealerships do not have the facilities to make an analysis that would differentiate an aftermarket fluid from a Nissan NS-3.

Good point. Kinda how Royal Purple doesn't stay purple for more than a few minutes. I'll definitely be changing the fluid in the spring. I am debating whether or not to change that filter. I do worry about having issues with getting it in and out but from what I've seen it shouldn't be too hard.

There's differential break-in material caught in it no doubt. Also looks like there's the typical strainer / screen style filter above the pan, but I'm not going that far.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Nissan branded fluid "IS," idemitsu the only difference is the price as well as the name on the two different bottles.

Back