Nissan Matic-S for Xterra Transfer Case ok?

Hi, new to the forum. I found a few threads on using Matic-S specification on automatic transmissions where Matic-J is specified.

However, my question is: can I use Matic-S (Amsoil Fuel-Efficient ATF) in the transfer case of my 2012 Xterra Pro-4X?

It calls for Matic-J which is the non Fuel-Efficient version of their synthetic ATF.

Thanks!

Bill

Welcome to BITOG :)

Yes, you can use it with no problems. Maxlife is a great choice to use where regular ATF is called for. I would probably put Maxlife in the transfer case if it called for any type of Nissan-Matic

If you would prefer using Matic-J, which I think is hard to find nowadays, just use Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF. Some say Matic-J is Nissan-branded version of this.

Thank you for the replies so far...something I notice I failed to mention is that I *already* did the fluid drain and fill this past weekend. I'm wondering if I need to drain the Matic-S and refill with Matic-J. So far it's sounding like "no" :)

It made me wonder why on newer model G37, with the 7-speed transmission, they switched from Matic-J to Matic-S but continued to recommend Matic-J (or was it Matic-D) for the transfer case. I had looked at what Amsoil recommended and they called for two different fluids between the transmission vs transfer case and I see they still do.

I'd use Amsoil ATF, Redline D4, or Mobil1 ATF if it were my transfer case. I never bothered with matic anything for my Nissans.

I wouldn't use a thinner oil in a gearbox spec'd for thicker oil.

Any of the above equivalent Dexron fluids should work. My 2012 Frontier specifies MaticD in the transfer case but I use an equivalent MaticS (LV) fluid and have had zero problems. I prefer the stability of the newer LV formulation since I drive into fields and woods when hunting and put some real stresses on the Four-wheel drive system.

Last edited:
Back