Nissan Matic-S Alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello to all. I'm sure this topic has been covered but I had no luck with finding any relevant posts so here it goes. I recently purchased a 2015 Nissan Frontier SV 4.0 Liter, Auto, 4wd with 59k miles and am planning an atf and filter change. I see Valvoline recommends their Max Life ATF for Nissan Matic-S applications. According to the label it will work for my transfer case(matic-D) and my power steering(Dexron VI) as well. Nissan does not agree of course except for the power steering. You are all aware of the $100+ savings with the Valvoline providing my clutches and seals don't disintegrate as Nissan would suggest, Anyone with experience with alternative product usage in Nissan vehicles equipped with the RE5R05A 5 speed please weigh in. Thanks, Vick.

There are quite a few members over at Clubfrontier that have used MaxLife ATF with no issues. If I were to deviate from OEM, Valvoline MaxLife would be my choice. I don't see any harm at all using it.

Your 5-speed has been around for a number of years. I believe my Infiniti G35 (2008) has that same transmission (RE5R05A) and it only "required" Matic-J at that time. Yours only "requires" Matic-S because Nissan phased out the older fluid. People used to say when they moved from the 5-speed to the 7-speed that that was the reason why but it's clearly not, at least not the only reason.

You shouldn't have any issues running either Castrol's Import Multi-Vehicle ATF (meets Matic-J - some say the Nissan fluid is Castrol) or the Full Synthetic ATF (meets Matic-S).

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Your 5-speed has been around for a number of years. I believe my Infiniti G35 (2008) has that same transmission (RE5R05A) and it only "required" Matic-J at that time. Yours only "requires" Matic-S because Nissan phased out the older fluid. People used to say when they moved from the 5-speed to the 7-speed that that was the reason why but it's clearly not, at least not the only reason.

You shouldn't have any issues running either Castrol's Import Multi-Vehicle ATF (meets Matic-J - some say the Nissan fluid is Castrol) or the Full Synthetic ATF (meets Matic-S).

Just to be clear though, the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF doesn't carry an actual Matic-J approval any more than the Maxlife product does. Both are "recommended for".

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Yeah I'm aware of the technicalities of approved vs. recommended fluids Hall. Gm pulled the same crap with Dexron I through VI. I was just hoping to hear from people who have battle tested the Valvoline in their trans for the long haul. I have no problem with using Nissan's stuff but I will save a buck if there is no risk of damage. You guys run the Valvoline in the T-cases and PS as well? Thanks again, Vick.

Originally Posted by VickK
Thanks for the quick responses guys. Yeah I'm aware of the technicalities of approved vs. recommended fluids Hall. Gm pulled the same crap with Dexron I through VI. I was just hoping to hear from people who have battle tested the Valvoline in their trans for the long haul. I have no problem with using Nissan's stuff but I will save a buck if there is no risk of damage. You guys run the Valvoline in the T-cases and PS as well? Thanks again, Vick.

It is never "crap", it is the manufacturer's method of trying to make sure one does not put a totally incorrect fluid in the vehicle. dexron approvals are one of the easiest since everything is back specified to dexron VI, which is an excellent transmission fluid.

Having said that, the recommendations on here for Matic-J are good ones. Either the Castrol product or the Maxlife are good to use, Matic-J is not a magic specification. I used Maxlife in my friend's Nissan and it has been working well as far as I know.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Just to be clear though, the Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle ATF doesn't carry an actual Matic-J approval any more than the Maxlife product does. Both are "recommended for".

Don't hold me to this, but I'm not aware of a single ATF available anywhere in the world that is "approved by" Nissan for Matic-? applications other than Nissan's own branded fluids. Nissan simply chooses not to have an approval process. Even if Castrol IMV ATF was absolutely in fact "Matic-J", it still doesn't mean Castrol can say it's approved nor does Nissan have to admit it's "okay" 'cause it's the same. I fully get why automakers don't do approvals too.

I have MaxLife in a friend's Frontier and so far, so good. I offered her a spill and fill back to OEM Nissan fluid if she didn't like the shift feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back