Nissan Kicks 89 octane

The Corolla has a larger, more powerful engine in the SE and XSE models. 169 HP and 151 pounds of torque vs 121 HP and 105 pounds of torque. PLUS the more powerful engine gets EPA 1 better in the city and 2 better on the highway than the LE model.

Originally Posted by Barkleymut
I learned to drive on an '82 Corolla stationwagon with the AT, you want to talk about underpowered....holy cow.

My mom had a 85 hatchback, 1.6L carbed, but had the 4 spd auto. 68hp I believe. I was just getting into autocross and my friends dad was a hotrodder guy so we asked what we could do to it? For the engine the easiest thing to try was to advance the timing so we did that. Before it had a 15.xx second 0-60, but after advancing the timing to where it wouldn't ping on 91 octane, it got into the 13's!, 0-60 that is... It had slotted struts from the factory too, so we put a couple degrees of negative camber on the front, found some 2/32 performance tires in the recycle pile at the local tire shop and went autocrossing!
Anyways a bit of timing advance helped that car quite a bit, and while it might not add much peak hp, it seemed to add some area under the hp curve.

Well, we were leasing a maxima. And liked that car very much. But very hard car to get out of...wow! Try getting out of one of those sometime. Especially when you're over 50. Anyway we both decided we wanted a small nice little suv. We test drove the Rogue (still too large for us) I didn't care for the way the Rogue sport felt. then he brought around the Kicks. And we both liked it right away.. and that's pretty much it. And we like Nissan. So we stayed with them.

Hot ambient temps increase spark knock.
So on a hot summer day many cars with knock sensors can benefit from higher than the minimum octane.

Originally Posted by lexus114
My daughter has a new Corolla. She loves it.

I mean, it gets the job done cheaply, but with a rating of negative 8 on the fun scale.

Originally Posted by Char Baby

I've driven NISSAN's little 1.6L 4 banger and it's OK. I mean, it's no power house but has good off the line jump(pull out into quick moving traffic). But then seems to run out of breath. But I still like it overall.

When I drove it(VERSA), if I needed more power to pass, I'd just drop the shifter down into "L"(Low) ...or depress the "OD OFF" button(even Lower) and the engine would wakeup for said maneuver.

True on that.

I don't know the differences between the 1.6 in the Kicks and the 1.6 in the 2019 and under Versa, but it really isn't bad power wise in our 2015 Versa with the 4spd auto. It takes off well and passes strong in 3rd, but with 3 or more people in the car, not so much. It's a flashback in time driving this econobox with a 4spd auto. It's loud. Lots of engine noise.

That is interesting. It has a 1.6L engine non turbo with an engine compression ratio of 10.4:1. But if it makes you feel better, than continue doing it.

Yup - Nissan 1.6 needs premium all day. The 1.6 they put in their price leader $9,900 Versa needs highest dollar fuel to perform because that is what their customers demand.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Yup - Nissan 1.6 needs premium all day. The 1.6 they put in their price leader $9,900 Versa needs highest dollar fuel to perform because that is what their customers demand.
lol.gif

It makes your wallet lighter, so she goes faster!

Yeah I know real funny right? I do believe it benefits from at least the 89 octane. especially with the summers here in GA

Last edited:
Originally Posted by lexus114
Yeah I know real funny right? I do believe it benefits from at least the 89 octane. especially with the summers here in GA

Am I reading this right that the motor has a 10.4:1 compression ratio ??

If I read that correctly... Well that's interesting because the 3.5 L VQ motor in my car has a 10.3:1 compression ratio and it recommends running 93 octane.... In the manual of my car it says one can run 87 but performance and gas mileage will both be lower... I run 93 in my car.

I have an older Nismo Juke and pretty much all I have put in it since day 1 of it being new is Shell V-Power 93. I imagine that's pretty much as good as any other fuel available and supposedly helps things burn a bit cleaner, which apparently is a concern with direct injection/carbon buildup. I'd rather spend a few more dollars in each tank if it minimizes issues in the future. Tiny 1.6L cranks out 200 hp and my makeshift timing indicates 0-60 in just over 6 seconds and it's an enjoyable/great handling ride.

Originally Posted by Zaedock
I learned to drive on an '82 Corolla stationwagon with the AT, you want to talk about underpowered....holy cow.

My wife drove a Chevette when I met her. That little RWD car was decent in snow because you couldn't even spin the tires on ice.

My aunt had one of those pathetic turds several decades ago. Couldn't really figure out a 0-60 time as I doubt it'd ever hit 60.

But your juke is turbo charged the kicks is not. That's why I'm trying to figure out why it runs better on the 89 octane. And does pull hills better I don't care what the haters say.

Originally Posted by NISMO_JUNKY
Originally Posted by Zaedock

My wife drove a Chevette when I met her. That little RWD car was decent in snow because you couldn't even spin the tires on ice.

My aunt had one of those pathetic turds several decades ago. Couldn't really figure out a 0-60 time as I doubt it'd ever hit 60.

LOL , yes it could make it to 60 mph, the diesel only took 20 seconds

https://patch.com/new-york/portjeff...-chevrolet-chevette-diesel-how43230bdb1f

Originally Posted by SeaJay
I guess we are back to the "I take care of my car and will only give it the very best, so premium gas it is" mindset.

I don't understand--the OP indicates that it runs better on 89 octane. Perhaps it has to be quantified as to what "runs better" means--like, 0-60 times have to be shaved by a certain amount?

SeaJay said:
I guess we are back to the "I take care of my car and will only give it the very best, so premium gas it is" mindset.[/quo

Well it's paid for, has never given me one single problem and it's my $ going into it truth be told. Some things I won't waste money on (yes I said waste) is options with oil changes... I'm totally satisfied with Valvoline/Havoline full synthetic oils when it's being changed every 4,500 miles instead of going with Mobil 1 for a good bit more cost and I seriously doubt any better for that OCI.

Back