NISSAN Ester oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My B-I-L just bought a 2014 NISSAN Frontier PRO-4X. Manual says to use 5W-30 Genuine NISSAN Ester oil. I've read that this stuff is supposed to be "all that", made out of unicorn tears like TGMO, but is there really any benefit to using it? If not, what is an acceptable substitute?

Also, I was kinda surprised that NISSAN is still clinging to 5W-30...I expected 5W-20 if not 0W-20...

There was a recent post here,can't remember if it was an Infinity G or Nissan Z,that the owner used the Nissan Ester oil,and the top end of the engine through the oil fill hole was spotless and clean as new. I'm guessing it's a really good oil. There's some Nissan parts sites online where you can get Nissan fluids really cheap.

ive wondered since I got my versa why nissan hasn't gone to 20wt oils like almost every other company. I think any vq engine would not be happy with a 20wt unless you were idling around all the time. In my owners manual it states 5w30 no matter what temp it is outside. Other makers engines give a wide weight range depending on temps.

my uoas have been very good using a good quality 5w30. But I have seen some not so good ones with a 0w30. Not saying the 0 was the problem but you do have to wonder what it is that we do not know about the nissan engines. There are many reasons why a manufacturer recommends a specific thing for their engines. I just go with it. 5w30 and a good quality oil is what my car will get until I trade it for a suv or until I get rid of it for another reason.

I do want to try the ester oil though. I've tried some really nice oils in my car. ie. havoline syn, pp, pyb, and some mobil oils. I have not heard one single difference in engine noise. so I'm sure any half decent 5w30 will do just fine.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
There was a recent post here,can't remember if it was an Infinity G or Nissan Z,that the owner used the Nissan Ester oil,and the top end of the engine through the oil fill hole was spotless and clean as new. I'm guessing it's a really good oil. There's some Nissan parts sites online where you can get Nissan fluids really cheap.

this right here makes me want to try it more. down my fill hole is mint but it does sound like a really good oil.

That can be accomplished with any good synthetic oil. You've seen the fill hole pics on my M5 and the heads of my old 302.

To be clear, OP, does Nissan REQUIRE that oil, or is it simply recommended? The wording is very important.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That can be accomplished with any good synthetic oil. You've seen the fill hole pics on my M5 and the heads of my old 302.

Exactly. Heck I use a different oil every oil change and my engines are spotless

From the owner's manual:

For VQ40DE
Genuine NISSAN engine oil or equivalent
Engine oil with API Certification Mark *1
Viscosity SAE 5W-30*10

The note for that *10 is:

*10: NISSAN recommends the use of Genuine NISSAN Ester Oil, available at a NISSAN dealer.

So it doesn't specifically state "required", but interestingly the 4-cylinder motor says this:

*11: As an alternative to this recommended oil, SAE 5W-30 or SAE 10W-30 conventional petroleum based oils may be used and meet all specifications and requirements necessary to maintain the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

If you want the insides of that engine to stay mint just use the real thing - Motul 300V or Red Line. It will probably cost even more than the Nissan stuff, but why mess around with oil that has "some" ester content when you can get a maximum ester content vollsynthetische that will easily deal with street high temperature high power density engines.

Don't waste you $ on the Nissan oil I have the same V6 in my 2012 Pathfinder and any quality 5w30 oil will work just fine. I questioned my oil choice at first but then a friend bought a used Nissan Frontier with the 4.0 V6 with all the service records and the previous owner ran PYB 5w30 for the first 110,000 miles and the truck runs great drinks no oil between changes and is quiet. By the way that was with 6-7,000 mile OCI so my friend has just stuck with PYB. I run Shell Full Synthetic 5w30 in my Nissan 4.0 V6 with 6-7,000 mile OCI I will be posting a UOA soon.

It's not required at all, and it's ridiculously overpriced Any modern ILSAC oil will do the trick at a substantially lower price. Any name brand synthetic - and most boutiques - will be cheaper, too.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
That NISSAN Ester oil is made by Motul.

I wonder if the other Nissan fluids (manual tranny,rear diff) are made by Motul?

Why is this ever accepted as some kind of scientific test here? Down the fill hole of my wifes Explorer is spotless and it has had whatever jiffy lube had around for years. Says more about the motor is easy on oil than if the oil is good.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
That NISSAN Ester oil is made by Motul.

I wonder if the other Nissan fluids (manual tranny,rear diff) are made by Motul?

Motul makes some special product for NISMO (their 0W-30 'Competition' oil, and 75W-140 'Competition' GL-5 gear oils), which can only be sold online, and at NISMO dealers, not at any brick and mortar Motul dealers.

Originally Posted By: jayg

Why is this ever accepted as some kind of scientific test here? Down the fill hole of my wifes Explorer is spotless and it has had whatever jiffy lube had around for years. Says more about the motor is easy on oil than if the oil is good.

Lol.. Exactly! .. Had the valve cover off dads Buick 3.8 V6 with 150k about a year ago and it was spotless running on whatever cheep oil and filters were on sale and 5-8k OCI and it was spotless. Frankly he thinks I'm crazy for wasting good money on quality synthetic oil he has no issues running cheep oil and getting 300k out of his cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back