Nissan Engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought those of us who read up on Nissan (there web site) should see some of the changes that they say will be in the the new 4 cyl. type.
The combustion period has been shortened and thermal efficiency improved by strengthening the gas flow in the combustion chamber.

Some of the world's most advanced technologies have been employed to reduce friction, including the use of a new machining method for the cylinder bores and the application of a mirror-like finish to the crankshaft and cam bearing surfaces.

The load imposed on the engine to drive the air conditioner and other auxiliary units has been reduced by enhancing their efficiency and improving the control program.

I have to wonder myself if this so called new technologies by machining will call for a thinner oil too. They are going in that direction for sure.
smile.gif

I love my "microfinished" Nissan/Infiniti VQ35 V-6. Looking at the UOAs and listening to other owners, it is quite apparent this engine thrives on thicker oil (high 30s or 40s). I'm not going to be the one to do the 20 wt experiment on the VQ, and I don't think Nissan will go this way with this engine any time soon.

quote:

It's my understanding that the Sentra/Altima 2.5 four cyl. engines also like heaver weight oils. Is this accurate?

My brother runs 10w40 in his, he says the 5w30 burns waaay too fast. I think personally the 10w30 would be a better choice, though.

A bit off topic, but the wife's Quest with the famous 3.5 V6 uses less than 1/4 quart of oil per 5000 miles. No difference between SuperTech, Exxon & Motorcraft. I just changed out to Trop-Artic this weekend (don't expect much change from MC, except 60 cents less per quart). All 5w30.

Willy G: Have you ever pulled a oil report running Dino 5K.That is a very good engine and wish I had it in my SE-R. But for me to run 5K on those 5/30 dino's I would like to see the wear numbers.A good blend like Castrol Syntec or Schaffer 10/30 would be my choice.
smile.gif
As far as the heavy oil on my 2.5L engine I ran the S2K (0/30)and went to the 10/30 Amsoil which I am sure will hold up well. I may try GC (Green) for the fall OCI. But for summer I will stay with the Amsoil 10/30.P.S. I want to try the 5/30 (3000)Amsoil type also but need to get more first. With 70 qts. of GC it should do as well for winter in all my cars.
grin.gif

No, I have never had any of my oils sampled. The manual says 3500 miles fro severe, 7000 miles for normal service. 5000 I feel is a cood compromise.

I should also say 3 months or 5000 miles. This last 3 month OCI only had 3200 miles. Chaniging at 3200 is overkill with SM oil...but an oil change is only $9...and I add the used oil to my mechanic's stockpile tank for his furnace.

quote:

Originally posted by Willy_G:
A bit off topic, but the wife's Quest with the famous 3.5 V6 uses less than 1/4 quart of oil per 5000 miles. No difference between SuperTech, Exxon & Motorcraft. I just changed out to Trop-Artic this weekend (don't expect much change from MC, except 60 cents less per quart). All 5w30.

My G35 has the same basic engine, just a different intake and ECU programming. I've had it for about 14 months and put 34,000 miles on it. I use GC and it has not consumed a drop that I can tell. I fill it to just a tad above full on the stick, and that's where it is when change time rolls around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back