Nice weekend - let's break a car

Figured the boys with some skills would enjoy amateur hour.

We had some nice weather, so I decided to do some minor items (checking fluids / tires, new larger battery, and checking a leak) on an 09 Honda CRV. I was all pleased with myself for using the Mobil Super and filter I found on clearance. Needless to say - hilarity ensued.

For some reason - the drain plug is always fused to pan, so I have to crank away. The oil filter is tiny, and even though I only hand tighten it, it's impossible to remove. After spending an hour to looking for the cap wrench (I redid my garage and somehow became less organized) - it does not fit a Fram Ultra - so out come the channel locks.

I'm now in the dark, knock over the drain pan and dump about 2 quarts of oil down the driveway. Now laying in oil, I get everything together and off the jack stands and check for leaks. After starting it, I hear a hiss, and oil hitting the driveway. Apparently, in my anger, I didn't realize the old oil filter gasket was stuck on the block. At least 2 more quarts of oil on the driveway. Now I'm irritated that I almost locked my motor, and wasted my clearance oil. (Car ran for 10 secs - enough for the oil light to go off - presumably to fill the oil filter, and build enough pressure to make a clearance oil cannon).

Get the jack stands back out, finally get it sorted, and throw down some cat litter using the headlights to spotlight the spilled oil. Remember the new battery idea? Yep, killed the old battery.

Get up the next day, sweep up cat litter, and try to install the new Group 24 battery using a tray from an Odyssey van. The "internets" led me to believe the new part would easily fit. Wrong. Take a dremel to the new tray - kinda get it fit. Go to get the new battery - and realize the liftgate won't open because the now dead battery is disconnected. Climb over car seats, fight new battery over the seats - like an over-weight shot-putter.

The battery J-hooks are too short, so after all this - I still have a cut up battery tray, a dead battery that fits, and a good battery that does not. And a pounding headache.

Put my tail between my legs - get the jumper cables, and a double dose of Motrin. Don't believe what you read on the internet about "easy" car mods folks.

Last edited:
You hang in there Chester. It happens. I've had several oil spills in the past and have learned to get the drain oil in a storage can ASAP.After sixty some years of wrenching I have got the routine maintenance procedures down to where most of the time they go very orderly. Happy days ahead#11. Regards to you sir.And to all your fellow PA residents. It was just grand.

Now I'm irritated that I almost locked my motor, and wasted my clearance oil. (Car ran for 10 secs - enough for the oil light to go off - presumably to fill the oil filter, and build enough pressure to make a clearance oil cannon).

Have faith, you weren't even close to locking up anything. I would say you didn't even cause any damage. Engines are a lot tougher than you can imagine. (Helped by the good oils we have today)

Source: My wife driving her Accord 20 miles with no oil in the pan, in the summer, in GA. There was damage done, but not enough to make any odd noises or cause the car to run any different after 2 oil changes and new filters. The car died its death by fully loaded E350 box van at 50 mph, not from engine problems.

Last edited:
All I can do is laugh. The new battery j-hooks supposedly show up tomorrow. So we will see how the larger battery works.

I'm 90% sure I'll be doing an alternator or AC coil soon. (I have a theory that the AC coil is going bad, and pulling the battery voltage down).

I did an alternator replacement in a parking garage with a $10 set of tools. Most miserable day of wrenching on a 2001 Chrysler minivan ever. Especially when it started getting dark and I realized that I had no light.

Glad you are able to laugh about it.
Did the smog pump on my fox body in the AutoZone parking lot. It seized while leaving Disneyland

Update -

I was able to get the 24F battery installed after cutting a bit of metal, and banging away with a ball peen hammer.

The aftermarket J-hooks were about 6000mm, and just about poked through the hood.

I bought a Dremel just on a whim a while back - and am causing mass destruction.

Trans leak seems to be getting worse. Or it could be left over from the wildcat oil well I created.

Have a good holiday folks.

Back