NHTSA should recall their own TPMS law!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
This is all a result of Ford and the Exploder tires.

I am inclined to agree. There are a lot of very lazy or even ignorant drivers out there that have no concept of doing a few simple things every week like checking oil, tires, washer fluid, etc. They wait until a warning light comes on.

Originally Posted By: dparm

I am inclined to agree. There are a lot of very lazy or even ignorant drivers out there that have no concept of doing a few simple things every week like checking oil, tires, washer fluid, etc. They wait until a warning light comes on.

As there has been since the beginning of automobiles.

Even the warning lights aren't infallible. First to mind, BRAKE, an important light if there ever was one, doing double duty for low brake fluid and e-brake on. Drivers are conditioned to believe the light is ONLY for the parking brake, as that's all they ever see 99.9% of the time.

Glad that my 06 TL didn't require a trip to the dealer for a reset... And now my 11 Grand Cherokee and 13 Dart don't need a dealer trip... the Dealer trip threat was the sole reason I never replaced the steel wheels and hubcaps on my wife's former 2010 Nissan Rogue.

Sounds like some of the automakers have used this regulation as a cash cow. That's pretty awful.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Even the warning lights aren't infallible. First to mind, BRAKE, an important light if there ever was one, doing double duty for low brake fluid and e-brake on. Drivers are conditioned to believe the light is ONLY for the parking brake, as that's all they ever see 99.9% of the time.

Very good point!

It reminds me of the chime in my Jetta. The same warning chime for "low coolant" is used for "low washer fluid" as is for low fuel. Nothing like going around a corner and having it chime at me!

IMO it's moronic that they don't give more information to the driver. Our Camry loves to set the TPMS trouble light. It goes out eventually--we're talking about on the same drive, no keying of the ignition. Sure would be nice if the stupid car would tell me "sensor malfunction" vs "tire is low!"

Of all the features I'd pay for, a simple LCD that can display tire pressure, engine temp, you name it... How hard can it be?

I love TPMS. I can push a button and get the exact reading of each tire right on the dash. No more dragging out the tire gauge before driving, getting dirty and kneeling down.

If it were optional, I'm not sure if I'd spend the extra money on getting TPMS or not. The one real perk for me is that when the light comes on during a trip, it lets me know I have a slow leak, so I can deal with it prior to it becoming an immediate problem.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

That and all the idiots who like low profile tires.

Getting harder and harder to avoid that stuff. Just look at what comes on an Accord or Camry these days...a 50-series aspect ratio is starting to look "big".

haha, I sure hope that "low profile" was a joke! Hilarious either way.

TPMS has become a way for the mfgr to once again herd us into the stealership. Just like no trans dipstick and other garbage, these are people who would steal from their own mom if they could make a buck at it!

That said, the systems vary wildly. My car is eight years old and has never needed anything but seals when I get new tires just because I'm fussy. Shows each tire pressure individually in an LCD screen and only talks to you when there's something worth hearing...

Triple duty on my Taurus - Parking brake, low fluid and ABS malfunction. Last year I had the car the light was on all the time for ABS not functioning.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx

That and all the idiots who like low profile tires.

Getting harder and harder to avoid that stuff. Just look at what comes on an Accord or Camry these days...a 50-series aspect ratio is starting to look "big".

My Genesis Coupe came with 19"/40 series tires. I down graded to the other OEM size of 18"/45 series. I have since bought some 18"/50 series tires and they seem like balloons but are much more comfortable to drive on.

I took the sensors out and live with the TPMS light.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

TPMS has become a way for the mfgr to once again herd us into the stealership. Just like no trans dipstick and other garbage, these are people who would steal from their own mom if they could make a buck at it!

That said, the systems vary wildly. My car is eight years old and has never needed anything but seals when I get new tires just because I'm fussy. Shows each tire pressure individually in an LCD screen and only talks to you when there's something worth hearing...

I prefer the systems that do not have actual sensors. Audi, for example, uses the wheel speed sensors. Much simpler.

Originally Posted By: Traction
Some of the newer Audi/VW, Mazda cars have figured out a way to comply with the law, and don't even use sensors.

I'd like to know how they do that.

The earliest tire-pressure systems in the '90s used the ABS to infer pressure differential between tires. That kind has rubber valve stems, no sensors, and some vehicles may still have them. ABS-based systems were fairly effecive, and far cheaper than sensor-based systems.

Unfortunately, the activists jumped up and down, turned blue in the face, and screamed that the automakers were trying to turn their cars into more-profitable death-traps by cheaping-out on the TPMS, and demanded that the NHTSA mandate sensors inside the tire.

I don't know if the NHTSA ever actually did mandate sensors in the tire, but automakers came under substantial activist pressure to install in-tire sensors, and that's what seems to be most common today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dishdude
I love TPMS. I can push a button and get the exact reading of each tire right on the dash. No more dragging out the tire gauge before driving, getting dirty and kneeling down.

10 Armada in my sig has this and it's nice to see what tire is low and by how much.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I prefer the systems that do not have actual sensors. Audi, for example, uses the wheel speed sensors. Much simpler.

I'm all for simple, but after this experience I am fine with the whole idea if implemented like these. I can rotate wheels no problem and it learns as soon as they turn. Plus with an individual pressure readout you can actually tell when your tires have warmed up a bit. I even used the system to tune the car's handling at the track.

If they could give every car a completely transparent and trouble free setup like this more folks would certainly approve. It is very nice when the seasons change here from hot to just warm....

Originally Posted By: itguy08

And the morons who overloaded their SUV, having people riding in the back, and neglecting the tires.

Personally I don't think we need TPMS. Let Natural Selection weed 'em out...

Agreed. These systems are a nuisance for those who maintain their vehicles. By virtue of being neighbours to the USA (and considered essentially the same market by vehicle makers with only minor variations from US models) we get these shoved down our throats too.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Originally Posted By: pbm

Wouldn't Firestone have to take some of the blame too?

Depends.

Ford lowered the tire pressure to an absurdly low amount to make the vehicle ride better. Then people would load up their SUV with 5000 pounds of gear and leave the tires at 26PSI.,

The spec pressure for my 4300+lb Colony Park station wagon was 30psi rear and just 24psi (that's not a typo) in front, on tiny 215/75R14 tires. I ran those pressures without a problem, even with 6 people in the car.

Ford picked the tires, engineered a vehicle that was not safe when the tires went out, and then put the inflation pressures at a very low level. Didn't warn people when they knew there was a problem.

Anyone who suggest going different than the OEM recommendations about anywhere will attest to the fact that the OEM NUMBERS ARE THE BEST!!! You are considered an idiot because OEM knows what they are doing.

It is like the big 9 passenger vans. Another unsafe vehicle and usually filled with people.

The problem with Explorers was 1% Ford, 4% Firestone, and 95% stupid drivers! The ratio for 15-pax vans is similar! Note: when loaded, those vans MUST use Load Range E tires in back, and the rear tires MUST be run at 80psi! Also, a full load of people will often overload the rear axle, especially if three or four big guys are in the last row.

Originally Posted By: supton

Very good point!

It reminds me of the chime in my Jetta. The same warning chime for "low coolant" is used for "low washer fluid" as is for low fuel. Nothing like going around a corner and having it chime at me!

IMO it's moronic that they don't give more information to the driver. Our Camry loves to set the TPMS trouble light. It goes out eventually--we're talking about on the same drive, no keying of the ignition. Sure would be nice if the stupid car would tell me "sensor malfunction" vs "tire is low!"

Of all the features I'd pay for, a simple LCD that can display tire pressure, engine temp, you name it... How hard can it be?

I liked the system in my 1989 Olds wagon...low fuel was a light and (one) chime. Low washer was a light and three or four slow chimes. Low coolant was another light and a few seconds of fast chimes. Simple, intuitive, and worked perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back